You are not logged in.

#1 2012-09-30 10:52:15

Norman_Crawford

Sowester Stanchion Base

I am looking for 3 x Sowester Stanchion bases or does anyone know of a replacement brand that fits the original. I was mored on a pontoon when a large steel motor sailor caught the guard rail with his dinghy davit, and three stanchions broke at the deck. I think this proved the good design of the stanchion base - strong enough to save life but weak enough to break without damaging the deck, when caught by something much heavier than crew. Grateful for any guidance.

#2 2012-09-30 17:50:08

Jonathan_Hopper

Re: Sowester Stanchion Base

I went through this a couple of months ago when somebody took one of mine out.

After many, many hours of searching, phone calls and emails I found these:

http://www.marinescene.co.uk/product/23 … ion-socket

which are the correct ones.   Hopefully they were able to re-stock as I had their last one at the time.   If you manage to get some perhaps you can post here as I could not find any other source.

Are the posts ok?   I could not find an identical match, but did find something similar enough from elsewhere.

#3 2012-09-30 21:05:26

Norman_Crawford

Many thanks Jonathan - the posts are ok so it's just the bases. I shall check out your link and let you know how I get on. 

#4 2012-10-09 09:01:07

Leon_Ferguson

Jonathan are they just screwed in or bolted through ?   I'd like to re-bed mine as I think I might have a slight leak, but don't want to have to take down the headlining.

#5 2012-10-09 13:17:17

Jonathan_Hopper

Leon -

Yours sounds different from mine.  The bases are bolted.   Most, if not all of mine are not in areas where there is headlining.   Where any deck fittings do come all the way through, the headlining is either cut around it giving full access, or the fitting has a backing plate and an exposed nut.  If you want me to take some photos then let me know.

When re-sealing the fittings it is well worth sealing the deck with epoxy (I use Araldite) as I do not believe it was done at the time of manufacture.   If you change yours and put fixings all the way though the headlining, you may find a bit of a void between the headlining and deck which is best filled with epoxy (possibly filler added as well) to give it a bit more compression stability.

None of this answers whether yours are bolted or screwed.  If you can work out exactly where it is then you could use a small hole cutter on the headlining to get access to the nut, and then maybe cover it with a plastic cover similar to what you get when building a kitchen cupboards, of fill it with timber and have the nut exposed, with a nut cover.

#6 2012-10-16 17:13:21

Norman_Crawford

Jonathan

finally managed to track three bases. I will post the information on the forum in case anyone else requires a couple. Richard at Marine Scene was most helpful but didn't have any. Thanks for the link. Norman

#7 2012-10-21 22:11:20

Jonathan_Hopper

Norman -

I am glad and impressed that you tracked some down.   It sounds as though I cleared out the stock at Marinescene, and elsewhere said that re-stocking was no longer possible.

Will be interested in where you managed to get one from - holding a spare sounds worthwhile.

Jonathan

#8 2012-10-26 17:21:58

Leon_Ferguson

I'm lifting out in a week and will have a proper look.  Perhaps I can pop over and have  a look at your boat ?  Are you down there during half term ?

Leon

#9 2012-11-05 19:49:52

Ian_Johnston

Jonathan_Hopper wrote:

Norman -

I am glad and impressed that you tracked some down.   It sounds as though I cleared out the stock at Marinescene, and elsewhere said that re-stocking was no longer possible.

Will be interested in where you managed to get one from - holding a spare sounds worthwhile.

Jonathan

I discovered on my last boat, a 1976 Westerly, that there are two sizes of Sowester stanchion bases. They look the same, but the hole spacing is different enough (imperial vs metric) that they are non-interchangeable. Worth checking if you, or anyone, finds some dusty candidates ...

Ian

Board footer