You are not logged in.

#1 2021-09-04 19:39:44

Duncan_Hill
Committee Member
Website

Toe-rail leak on a V34?

Any collective knowledge on the tendency of a V34 to leak at the toe-rail? I've discovered water in the locker space under the stove, and it's salty. Only comes in when heeled to port, and I see no sign of it on the hull behind the stove, or in the deep locker that's to the right of the stove. Starting to conclude that it's coming in behind the fridge, and sloshing over the cutout that passes the manual bilge pump hose into the port locker. Problem with coming in behind the fridge is that that /looks/ like a complete dismantle of the galley, disconnection of the fridge ASU etc.

Blue Opal, Victoria 34

#2 2021-09-06 08:23:10

Jon_Spencer

Re: Toe-rail leak on a V34?

Duncan,

I believe this to be a common fault on the V34 with teak toe-rails.  It usually only happens when the rail is submerged and is caused by the fact that the rail is just screwed to the GRP.  As the sealant breaks down, with age, the water uses the screw thread to penetrate down the hull skin and into any convenient locker.  I believe the solution is simple but time consuming: remove the rail and re-seat with good quality sealant taking care to ensure that pre-existing holes are fully sealed.  It is a lengthy process but can be easily divided into small areas. 

Jon

#3 2021-09-06 08:26:27

Duncan_Hill
Committee Member
Website

Re: Toe-rail leak on a V34?

Well, she's going to come out of the water this year for a whole bunch of maintenance, so I guess the list just got longer! Wonder if I can get the yard to do it while she's in the shed for some other work. Barring that, I'll get a tarp and do it myself.

Thanks Jon.

Blue Opal, Victoria 34

Board footer