You are not logged in.

#1 2022-04-30 22:44:10

Jim_Thomson

Boom - reefing lines.

Quick question regarding reefing lines. I’ve got three reefs on the main and as shown in the photo these run internally along the boom to three clutches. What are the two sheaves located at 90deg on either side of the boom for? I was thinking single line reefing but there’s no corresponding hole at the other end of the boom. Original 1990 boom I would think.
Last boat was very basic in regards to sail trim etc. 1651354846_3523ef15-71fc-427a-b913-66d34c0ec9c0.jpeg

Nanooq
Victoria 30

#2 2022-05-02 02:00:28

Bill_Robinson

Re: Boom - reefing lines.

In fact there are only 2 reefing sheaves, the center one is the outhaul. I have the same boom on Inyoni, my Frances 26. I added a cheek block and a cleat on the Port side of the boom for the 3rd reef on my new mainsail.
I have no idea what the 2 horizontal sheaves in the end of the boom are meant for!

#3 2022-05-02 21:13:54

Jim_Thomson

Thanks for that Bill, yes the centre one will probably work better as the outhaul. Still curious about the other two - there’s no traveller inside for single line reefing and I’m not convinced that single line reefing was all that common back when she was built ( I shall prepare myself to be corrected on that, just in case!)

Nanooq
Victoria 30

#4 2022-05-03 08:46:14

Charles_Grossie
Committee Member

Hi Jim,
The boom on my Victoria 34 is also a Proctor spar and has the same outhaul and reefing line arrangement. As Bill has described, the centre line is the outhaul (with no internal purchase) with the outer two being the reefing lines. No third reefing point possible with this boom unless you reassign the reefing line to include the third reefing point to exclude one of the others. This would mean repositioning the other boom hardware, which isn't that straight forward.

The adjustable 'bulls eye' type fittings that are adjustable on the sides of the boom accommodate each of the reefing lines that are fed out of the sheave blocks. Once the reefing line has been fed through the respective reefing point the end of the line then is tied off onto the corresponding reefing lug on the underside of the boom.

The photos below may help. If the opportunity presents itself at some point, I would replace the Proctor boom with a Selden/Kemp version.

1651563875_anitra_boom1.jpg
1651563909_anitra_boom2.jpg

Last edited by Charles_Grossie (2022-05-03 11:44:13)

Victoria 34 Cutter - 'Anitra'

#5 2022-05-03 14:32:18

Alastair_Fleming

Hi Jim,

On Kaya's Proctor boom there are two different ways of running the lines for reefs 1 & 2 (the boom end is the same as the one shown in Charles's post above):

(a) the reef lines run from the mast internally in the boom and exit at the mainsheet end via two separate vertical sheaves (one either side of the sheave in which the mainsail outhaul runs). The reef lines can then run parallel to the leech up to the relevant leech cringle where they run through and then down to the foot of the boom to be tied off there.

(b) the reef lines run internally in the boom and exit at the mainsail end via two horizontal sheaves (one either side). The reef lines then run horizontally through a becket and onto an adjustable slide on a t track, up the sail through the leech cringe and down to the foot of the boom to be tied off there.

When I had a new mainsail made I asked my sailmaker which method to use and was told to use method (a) above. Charles describes using method (b).

For reef three I use the outhaul line (I have made it extra long) having disconnected it from the main at the end of the boom.

if needs be I can post some photos of my setup.

#6 2022-05-03 23:31:04

Jim_Thomson

Thanks very much for the replies, so it’s either the vertical or the horizontal ones. Unclipping the outhaul for a third reef is probably the way I shall go with it. Everything is lead back to the cockpit which I’ve never had before either.
Hopefully get a bit more information about her up on the forum soon. We bought her as Lilac Domino back in October 2019 but due to health issues we’ve been out of the water since the week before Covid struck. The two years haven’t been wasted with an awful lot of things needing replaced.

Nanooq
Victoria 30

#7 2022-05-05 17:02:59

Charles_Grossie
Committee Member

Hi Alistair,

I suspect that your option a) configuration is more efficient that option b).

I plan to change my configuration as this is more in keeping with 'standard' reefing methods.

Your photos are helpful..

Many thanks.

#8 2022-05-06 12:14:15

Alastair_Fleming

Hi Charles,

One thing to bear in mind in switching to option a) is whether you have the ability to feed the reef line through the foot of the main. My new main has cringles in the foot directly down from the relevant reef cringles in the leech. This enables the line coming from the leech cringle to be passed through the foot of the sail and then under the boom (where there is another eye). The line is then tied off in a bowline to the reef line at the point where it passes through the cringele in the foot. What my sailmaker said to me was that this enables the reef line to (a) tidy up the loose sail and (b) more importantly ensure that there is tension on the foot of the sail (in the same way as applied by the outhaul when the sail is full). Also using the vertical sheaves cuts out another twist in the reef line and therefore eases the friction on it. Obviously the relevant cringe from the luff still has to be attached to the ramshorn at the mast end of the boom.

Another thing that I noticed from your photo is that you attach the uphaul line to the boom end via a shackle. This is how mine used to be rigged but over the years it had worn the boom end extrusion (to which the shackle is attached) to such an extent there was a danger it might fail. I've solved this by using a soft shackle as you'll see in the photos. Just something to watch out for!

#9 2022-05-06 12:42:14

Alastair_Fleming

Hi I thought I'd improve the images I submitted yesterday of Kaya's reefing setup.1651837293_img_2489.jpg 1651837317_img_2491.jpg

#10 2022-05-06 21:54:18

Charles_Grossie
Committee Member

Hi Alistair.
Many thanks for the additional info. I had noticed the soft eye and definitely something to add avoiding metal/metal contact. I would probably need to see photos of your mainsail unveiled at some point so as I can understand it better.

Thanks again.

Charlie.

#11 2022-05-14 14:00:08

Jim_Thomson

Well thank you very much for all the info. We got it set up using the middle one as the outhaul and the horizontal ones as reef 1 and 2. The deadeyes and boom tie off points need a bit of refinement but it all worked pretty good. Went from Troon up to Dunstaffnage this week and with a steady 20kts the system coped well. I shall however probably set up a small purchase for the outhaul thereby giving me the three reef points without making any adjustments on the hoof!
So as it stands I use the halyard at the mast allowing me to hook the tack onto the horn then come back and use the reefing lines to bring the clew down in the safety of the cockpit. Last boat didn’t have a kicker due to have a really heavy solid wooden boom so will need to lead that back as well to allow the reefing line to be brought in.
1652533186_22b37994-1ebd-4c1c-a321-9fd2ae257f27.jpeg
However all in first impression were very favourable. 6.5 hours Troon to Tarbert top speed of 8.2kts and feeling cheated when she dipped below 6kts. Speeds that I could only dream of in my previous boat a Herreshoff 28.
Here’s hoping for some time to get out and use her.

Nanooq
Victoria 30

#12 2022-05-16 19:22:22

Ian_Abbott

I've rigged as per Alistair Flemings option b. (thanks for the suggestion)  However I used the outhaul to pull the foot tight and then lashed it using Dyneema.  I then used the outhaul for reef 1,  and the side exits for reef 2 and 3.  I needed to reposition the fair leads on the side of the boom to get the foot/leach tension ratio right.  I know I can't adjust the outhaul tension sorry I'm a cruiser I don't anyway.  It works for me.

#13 2022-05-17 09:31:16

Bill_Robinson

In my opinion, if one is going forward to the mast to drop the halyard, hook the tack eye to the gooseneck horn, and then retention the halyard, there is no point in then tensioning the leach reefing lines from the cockpit! One may as well do everything at the base of the mast, including adjusting the topping lift, and the vang. Leading lines back to the cockpit increases the friction, adds a lot of expensive hardware, and clutters up the cockpit unnecessarily.

On both my Ebbtide 36, and my Frances 26 cutters, I have the mainsail halyard marked, so it is easy to see when it has been dropped enough, and when the tension is correct for each reef. A similar system is used on the leach reefing lines. The clutch levers have slots filed into the handles, one for the first reef, two for the second etc. This eliminates errors, (especially when all the lines are the same color, as in my case). The tails of the reefing lines are stowed in a bag suspended under the boom with 4 compartments.

I sail mostly single handed, and my system is:- first ease the vang, then do the relevant tack, and tension the halyard, next is the leach reefing line, after that the vang is re tensioned, adjust the topping lift, and stow the slack of the reefing lines in the under boom bag. A quick look at the reefed mainsail on the windward side makes it easy to see if everything is correct.

#14 2022-06-05 18:47:08

David_Noll

This thread has been very helpful; thank you for everyone's contribution.

After using my second reef (using the method A described above), I was trying to understand why I did not have a third reefing line set up (and was too afraid to ask for fear of coming across as silly).

Reading through the threat, I understand the differences between the two set-ups but am still puzzled by the options for the third reef. If I understood the previous points correct, then the suggestion is to use the outhaul (middle line in the vertical set-up) as the third reefing line, if required?

Considering that a third reef would be used in strong winds and would possibly be a situation where I might not have planned to sail, this seems like a risky option (increasing the time out of the cockpit). I would therefore consider changing my vertical lines to a second and third reef. This subsequently still leaves me with the question of the first reef.

Question: Would it be possible to set up a reefing line utilising the horizontal roller for the first reef instead of the outhaul? I would be interested to hear other people's opinions.

Thank you very much.

David - Maude: Victroria 26

#15 2022-06-06 16:23:21

Alastair_Fleming

David,

You are right about using the outhaul as the third reef. What I do is to take a view on the weather. If I think I might need the third reef at some point during my outing than I will rig this when I put reef 1 in place. I therefore only need to do bit of extra work long before conditions deteriorate. Others no doubt have differing views.

I wouldn't see a problem using the horizontal sheave as you suggest but bear in mind my point about getting adequate tension on the foot of the sail (which in reef 1's case is the line running from the reef 1 cringle to the mast).

Alastair

#16 2022-06-06 20:25:15

Jonathan_Hopper

David - Francesca has a 3rd reef with an external line.   It is not permanently rigged as you need some seriously windy weather to need it, and you should have notice of that.   Have sailed in 35kn with 2 reef main, though was beginning to think about 'the next step' if it got worse at the time (hence the 3rd reef addition).    I have a friction ring attached to one of the boom bails with a short dyneema strop (no drilling or modifications required), and an extra cleat added to the boom at the mast end.   When needed I just pass the line from the friction ring through the reef cringle and down to another boom bail ready for use, and haul in to the new cleat in the usual way.   You don't have easy access to a winch doing this, but on the few occasions I have used the 3rd reef I have been able to get sufficient tension.

Can also use the line through the friction ring as a gybe preventer.

Board footer