#1 2022-04-08 20:26:31

Don_Smith

STEAM & UNCOOPERATIVE, STIFF 38mm HOSE

I've been wrestling with the cockpit bilge pump hose in the bilge sump. Because of access it's awkward to get the strum box off and replaced, let alone manoeuvre the hose into an upright position so it's sucking to maximum effect. I must say at this stage that I find it difficult to lay prone reaching into the sump because of a long term problem. How was I going to do this?

It turned out to be remarkable simple. Disconnect the 38mm hose from the cockpit bilge pump and railroad the hose from a wallpaper steamer as far as you can. It will be about three metres. Then run the steamer for 10 to 15 minutes and you will be surprised how soft and easy to bend the uncooperative rigid hose has become. Then all you have to do is bend the free end so the strum box and hose are how you want them and leave it to cool in it's new stable position. Finally, reconnect the bilge hose to the pump and give it a go.

Don

#2 2022-04-09 19:57:43

Duncan_Hill
Committee Member
Website

Re: STEAM & UNCOOPERATIVE, STIFF 38mm HOSE

Pretty similar to how dipping smaller hoses in hot water makes them go on to fitting way more easily. Had to do that when I was fitting the elbows to a diverter valve; they'd not go on otherwise!

Blue Opal, Victoria 34

#3 2022-04-09 22:53:19

Don_Smith

Duncan, it's all a matter of access as to which one you choose. This way gets to parts others can't.

By the way, you've done a grand job on the hull polishing.

Don

#4 2022-04-20 15:41:27

Duncan_Hill
Committee Member
Website

Thanks, though it wasn't me that did the work! Now, the only question is how to keep her looking like that... oh, I know, a big shed.

Blue Opal, Victoria 34

Board footer