You are not logged in.

#1 2022-01-08 05:32:19

Bill_Robinson

Compact life raft on a Frances 26

I plan to do some trans ocean sailing on Inyoni, my Frances 26, so I have been researching compact life rafts. We will be a crew of two. 
There are a number of aviation life rafts that are light, and compact, but they are horribly expensive. Ideally, I would like a quality raft in a valise. Anybody got any suggestions?

#2 2022-01-08 09:55:47

Kevin_Misselbrook
Resigned

Re: Compact life raft on a Frances 26

Hi Bill,
For your info I had a 4 man Zodiac Coaster liferaft on my Frances 26 (ISO 9650-2).  This was in a hard valise mounted in a frame on top of the coachroof.  (See picture )).  I'm guessing that you could get away with something smaller if going for a 2 man liferaft although you would be looking for an ocean-going spec.
The position on the boat is good from a safety and deployment perspective but does inhibit the view slightly.
Hope this helps.  All the best,
Kevin.

1641631830_img_1815_small.jpg

#3 2022-01-09 12:22:08

Jonathan_Hopper

I hired a 4 man valise and kept it on the pilot berth when offshore.  The more useful berths were the saloon berth when on the right tack, and the floor in bad weather, so the pilot berth was storage.   Also keeps the weight down low.   However not sure I would do this if I owned one and had it semi-permanently on board.   Some say 4 man liferaft is the smallest you would want to be in - couldn't hire anything smaller at the time so had no option.

#4 2022-01-14 01:49:14

Bill_Robinson

Thanks for the input guys!
My preference would be to keep a raft, in a valise, in one of the cockpit lockers. Second choice would be to just stow it in the quarter berth. With two on board we would both sleep in the forward Vee berth when at anchor, and one at a time in the saloon, when sailing. With a good lee cloth set up, the saloon berth is good on both tacks. Problem is finding a good quality, compact raft. Lalizas make a light, compact raft, but it looks like a swimming pool toy.

Board footer