You are not logged in.

#1 2021-11-04 11:19:12

Pedro_Neira
Resigned

Studs in the mast hole

Good morning everyone,

I have some rubber studs for align the mast in the mast hole of the cabin.

They keep falling down all the time...

What system do you have? It´s ok if I make a wood stud or it must be rubber¿?

Thank you for your answers.

Kind regards,

Pedro

goma-2.jpg

goma-1.jpg

#2 2021-11-04 20:13:09

Don_Smith

Re: Studs in the mast hole

Pedro,
My rubber wedges don't move or fall out and I've had no call to move them since the rigger did his work when it was stepped. Do you have a couple of fascia pieces mounted around the mast that close off that space?

Don Smith
Triptych, V34
Conwy

#3 2021-11-05 09:26:18

Pedro_Neira
Resigned

Don_Smith wrote:

Pedro,
My rubber wedges don't move or fall out and I've had no call to move them since the rigger did his work when it was stepped. Do you have a couple of fascia pieces mounted around the mast that close off that space?

Don Smith
Triptych, V34
Conwy

Hi Don,

I don´t have fascia pieces around. I will align the mast and put the rubber wedges adn then cover all the place so they can´t fall.

Thanks,

Pedro

#4 2021-11-05 14:04:37

Jonathan_Hopper

Hopefully you have (at least) 4.

If you lie on the bunk and use your legs to push them hard up then they should stay in place.

A nice bit of ropework round the mast just below should keep them in place if the above fails.

#5 2021-11-08 22:17:58

Andrew_Gleadle

Hi Pedro
The ones on Panache (Fraces 26) occassionaly drop out. I push them back in as firmly as possible and check they are still secure every couple of months

Andy

#6 2021-11-10 22:56:30

Richard_Saunders
Committee Member

Hi Pedro,
The mast wedges on our Victoria 30, Wynn, have been pushed into place from above (underneath the mast gaiter) and therefore cannot fall out. There is some wooden trim around the mast on the underside of the hole through the coach roof but there are no additional wedges here. This was done by our rigger at Chichester when the mast was last removed so I have always assumed that this was the correct procedure.
Best wishes, Richard

#7 2021-11-13 23:49:12

Bill_Robinson

I have just installed Spartite on my Frances 26, Inyoni.
For those not familiar with this product, it is a pour in, 2 part polyurethane seal that completely seals the mast into position relative to the deck aperture. Vaseline is used to prevent the mixture from adherence to the deck aperture surface. This should be very close to being waterproof, even without a mast boot. I will be installing a self bonding rubber boot anyway, with a Sunbrella cover over that, for u/v protection. Belt, braces, and spare pants. The mast area has obviously been leaking a lot over the life of Inyoni, but hopefully that is now over.

#8 2021-11-18 09:53:17

Pedro_Neira
Resigned

Thanks all for your answers!

I bought some rubber wedges and will put them with some ropework so they can fall.

Bill_Robinson wrote:

I have just installed Spartite on my Frances 26, Inyoni.
For those not familiar with this product, it is a pour in, 2 part polyurethane seal that completely seals the mast into position relative to the deck aperture. Vaseline is used to prevent the mixture from adherence to the deck aperture surface. This should be very close to being waterproof, even without a mast boot. I will be installing a self bonding rubber boot anyway, with a Sunbrella cover over that, for u/v protection. Belt, braces, and spare pants. The mast area has obviously been leaking a lot over the life of Inyoni, but hopefully that is now over.

This is great. But nearly impossible to buy in Spain.

kind regards,

Pedro

Board footer