#1 2021-01-20 17:58:15

John_Willis
Website

New engine for Pippin, a Francis 34 Pilot House

Of course a new engine for an old boat is no cheap undertaking – “Think of a number and double it” I said in jest to the boatyard hand; and that about summed it up.  But it was a project I could undertake thanks to a house sale and the unflagging support of the first mate.

Unlike many who have advised the Association of projects they have completed, I am capable of very little, so this was down to those who can, and so the money meter started ticking.  Not wishing to bore the reader with unnecessary verbiage, I’ll give a summary taken straight from the 9 (widely spaced!) page summaries of labour and parts.

It starts with “install new engine” which tells not of the agonising process of engine choice, or the removal of the worn out Yanmar 30GMF that had worked so hard against massive odds.  It was easy enough to get it out, but not so easy to get the new one in.  It is a Yanmar JH40 3 CR – yes that’s right, it’s a common rail diesel!  More on that for anyone who wants to contact me.

Redundant cables, pipes and controls ‘etc.’ were stripped out as was the prop shaft to be replaced with a longer one.  A template was made up for new stainless engine bearer plates plus a little GRP work, before the new engine was lifted in with millimetres to spare.  Off came the Darglow propeller and a new cassette to alter the pitch to better suit the new engine was fitted, along with new bearings for the rope cutter.

Surgery to the keel was necessary to enlarge the engine raw water intake and a new seacock and 90° elbow fitting were installed for the new inlet pipe that ran up to the new engine compartment to a new Vetus seawater strainer.

Being a much more powerful engine, a completely new exhaust system was installed, including a custom stainless steel swan neck from the engine, Vetus water separator and anti-syphon unit, draining out into the cockpit.  The exhaust exits through a new, larger skin fitting under the transom.

A custom stainless inspection plate was fitted to the top of the fuel tank, with new fittings to take all the necessary connections and a new vertical lift fuel gauge was installed in place of the hopeless lateral lift unit.  Even so, the fuel tank on this boat is half a rectangular box – a wedge – so zero width at the bottom, full width at the top, not ideal.   At this point the inferior grade fuel filler pipe burst and I won’t describe the cussing and dismantling of this and that to get it out and the new one in, together with a new fuel breather; suffice to say in the bald words of my statement “Cut woodwork as necessary and install new fuel hose …”!

Then it was time to install the new engine control unit, fuel lines, move the Racor primary filter from under the pilot seat to where it should be next to the raw water strainer and engine fuel filter, fit a water sensor to the Racor primary filter and relocate the little electric bleed pump.  Then in with the Racor fuel polishing system, which can clean a full tank 3 times in an hour.

Meanwhile the yard carpenter had been busy making up the new engine box in marine ply and Cherry veneer, having cut away parts of a longitudinal and a transverse bulkhead to allow proper access to the new motor.  At the same time, the new engine control cables were fitted and good things were done to the charging system to handle the 125 A(!) alternator.

“Reinstate and make good woodwork” was a wonderful moment when I could change the cabin interior from Guy Forks bonfire heap to useable, comfortable space.

Of course when you start work on a beautiful boat, it never stops quite where it should, so Pippin also received a new stack pack and I sent the main and forward cabin hatches to Eagle Boat Windows for replacement glazing and seals.

That’s it – for now, but don’t tell the first mate.

Last edited by John_Willis (2021-03-16 23:18:44)

#2 2021-03-09 19:05:00

John_Willis
Website

Re: New engine for Pippin, a Francis 34 Pilot House

Following on from Pippin's engine change, I completed the first engine trials today (09/03/21).  You can see the results in the 2 attachments.

The F34/V34 has a hull speed of a smidgeon over 7 knots, a little more perhaps with the transom partially submerged.  With the old Yanmar 27 GMF I NEVER saw hull speed and could not make 6 knots in the real World.  5 was about it and tides and wind seriously hampered forward progress.

The new engine is much more powerful and nearly 7 knots is achieved with ease and most importantly, entirely without strain.  It also doesn't seem so affected by wind and tide.  The F34 is around 6.75 rather than about 6 tons for the V34, but I would expect very similar results.

Pippin has a Darglow feathering propeller, which was re-pitched for the new engine.  Despite being a little undersized compared to the ideal, it seems to match the engine very nicely.  One thing I did notice was a little less punch in reverse, but that could be Covid sloth and rustiness on my part!

(PS the 2 tables seemed to disappear in the preview of this reply, so if you can't see them, and want to, do email me)

(Admin edit: moved John's document links into this reply)
Sea-Trial-Yanmar-30GMF.docx

Sea-Trial-Yanmar-3JH40CR.docx

Last edited by John_Willis (2021-03-16 23:16:12)

#3 2021-03-15 16:34:58

Duncan_Hill
Committee Member
Website

I'll check the configuration of the attachments code John; it sounds like you were trying to attach a spreadsheet and not an image?

Blue Opal, Victoria 34

#4 2021-03-16 12:17:08

John_Willis
Website

Hi Duncan,

2 Word documents, each with a table.

Thanks for checking.  Much appreciated.

JMW

#5 2021-03-16 12:25:58

Duncan_Hill
Committee Member
Website

Looks like you uploaded them, but somehow the links that should have been added to the post got deleted. I've confirmed that your uploads are present, so you should be able to edit either post, put your cursor at the end of the post, click Uploads, and select an uploaded file. That should result in BBCode for a URL being added to the post.

Clipper-Wireless-Wind.pdf

1615893870_2021-03-16_11_23_44-post_a_reply___victoria_shadow_association_members__forum_mdash_mozilla_firefox.png

1615893878_2021-03-16_11_23_58-post_a_reply___victoria_shadow_association_members__forum_mdash_mozilla_firefox.jpg

Last edited by Duncan_Hill (2021-03-16 12:26:35)

Blue Opal, Victoria 34

#6 2021-03-16 23:17:49

John_Willis
Website

Thanks Duncan.

Done that and the links have appeared at the start of my email.

JMW

Board footer