#1 2020-08-10 20:00:04

AlanP_Taylor

V 34 Lewmar fore & saloon Rollstop 60 hatch hinges

Has anyone removed the hatch covers and can tell me if the hinge on the hatch is screwed down or is bolted down. If bolted, are the nuts captive? I'm intending to replace the acrylic in both hatches and for that the lids need to be removed. The very helpful man at Eagle  told me to be very careful with the Rollstop 60 as you can break the plastic bits if you try to dismantle the hinge rather than unscrew it completely.He warned that some are bolted rather than screwed.
Alan Taylor Symphony V 34 Portsmouth

#2 2020-08-22 12:02:12

Alastair_Fleming

Re: V 34 Lewmar fore & saloon Rollstop 60 hatch hinges

Hi Alan,

I have removed both Lewmar hatches. Given that you are speaking to Eagle I presume you are looking to have these reglazed? That's what I did - they re-glazed mine and did a good job. Assuming that is the case you don't need to remove the entire hatch - only the opening part. From memory (I'm not on the boat just now) you tap out the bar that is in the hinge and that will allow you to remove the opening glazed section to have it reglazed. Have a good look at the hinge on the outside and I'm sure you will see the bar I'm talking about. The only qualification to this is Lewmar changed the spec of the hinges so it is possible that your ones are not entirely the same as mine. When was Symphony built? My V34, Kaya, was built in 1989. If you want to remove the enitire hatch I suspect that you'll find it is held in place with machine screws with nuts on the underside. Access to the nuts is by removing the 'ceiling' boards in the cabin. The nuts on Kaya are not captive and will simply turn rather than loosen. Removing the ceiling boards is straightforward - I've had to do this a couple of times to replace deck fittings (eg organisers).

Just as a tip, when I did this a couple of years ago, I picked up an old Lewmar size 60 hatch from Ebay. I took the opening glazed section out of that and put that in as a temporary replacement on Kaya whilst i had mine reglazed. I then resold the old hatch. Saved any boarding up!

If you need any more help let me know. I might be able to get some photos next time on Kaya to help.

Alastair

#3 2020-08-22 12:43:40

Alastair_Fleming

Alan - have a look at this webpage which shows the hinge assembly - hopefully the right one!

http://www.mason44.com/Linked-Files/Hat … lume-1.pdf

Alastair

#4 2020-08-22 15:28:30

AlanP_Taylor

Hi Alistair
Thank you for replying. It's not the entire hatch I want to remove just the hinge. The very helpful man at Eagle said it is better to unscrew the hinge rather than tap the rod out. He has had many people who have broken the plastic parts within the hinge when tapping out the rod and these parts are almost impossible to replace.My hinge has slotted ( either ) screws or bolts to hold the hinge to the frame. He warned that some hatches have the hinge through bolted rather than screwed. If this is the case then I might lose the nuts if I try to undo the fixing. Hence my question If they are screwed then it is easy, if they are bolted then it might be a problem. Given the quality of the build of Victorias ( mine is 1990 ) then I suspect they are bolted.Eagle will lend a spare glazed lid now.I am presuming you tapped out the bar and did not break any bits of plastic ( the clicking bit that holds the lid up ).From what you've said I'm guessing that the hinges themselves  will also be through bolted rather than screwed. So I will need to tap the rod out with care.Thank you for the info.
Kind regards
Alan

#5 2020-08-25 10:19:14

Alastair_Fleming

Hi Alan,

I didn't break anything and didn't find anything was ever likely to break anyway. From memory it was all quite easy but the one issue that you might have is in relation to the fastening that holds the metal bar in place. I have a feeling this might be a circlip (google it if you haven't heard of these) in which case you'll need a set of circlip pliers to remove it - it might not be the case with your one. Once removed the bar should easily tap out. The other tip is to make sure that the opening section of the hatch is supported whilst you do this - eg by having it closed or well propped if it is open. Oh and pick a dry day!!

Regards

Alastair

#6 2020-09-05 14:48:41

Don_Smith

I had a problem removing the old crazed Lewmar main hatch on Triptych (1988 V34). The hinges were bolted through the deck with no way to get the nuts off easily. We ended up cutting two sections out of the wooden hatch surround to access the nuts and make good the deck ready for the new Bainbridge hatch that we screwed down. The woodwork I had repaired by replacing that panel; its an excellent repair. Photos available if required.

Don Smith
Triptych V34 Conwy

Board footer