You are not logged in.

#1 2020-08-19 08:41:19

Duncan_Hill
Committee Member
Website

Spin-on replacement for CAV296?

Allo folks,

Has anyone replaced their CAV 296-type filter with a spin-on (Racor I guess) of any description? A spin-on type filter sounds rather appealing compared to the annoyance of getting the seals just right on the 296, and I've been staring at the Racors on ASAP trying to work out which one would be the best replacement. Both the input and output pipes for Blue Opal come up on the starboard side of the engine, to the filter which is fitted just behind the companionway steps - to me this indicates that I probably need a 4-port replacement (the existing is 4 port), because the 2-port ones look to be designed as a straight through feed, not a "bend it back the way it came" feed.

At this point, I'm concluding a 445R10 (if I went Racor, and ASAP only seem to carry Racor) might be the right thing with two blanking plugs.

Thoughts? Warnings? smile

Blue Opal, Victoria 34

#2 2020-08-20 09:01:48

Charles_Grossie
Committee Member

Re: Spin-on replacement for CAV296?

Hi Duncan,
I too was considering replacing the existing standard filter with something similar to the Racor spin-on version when I had the engine out for refurbishment (but didn't as my budget was blown big time!).
The design/shape/dimensions seem to be fine, but I would check with the ASAP technical team to ensure that the input/output fuel line arrangement as you describe, can be matched to the existing configuration (which is identical on Anitra - V34 1990).
Keep us posted!

Thanks.
Charlie.

Victoria 34 Cutter - 'Anitra'

#3 2020-08-21 20:40:11

AlanP_Taylor

Hi Duncan
I too thought about doing this, but was not sure about losing the glass bowl which can be useful to spot any water in the fuel.My fuel strategy has always been to use petrol station ( white ) diesel , empty the tank at the end of the season, using the fuel in my car and clean the tank as far as access will allow ( baffles ! ) then refilling at the beginning of the new season. I had the idea that I would use the old filter in a fuel polishing system ( as per Patrick Laine). Please let us know how you go on and I may follow you. I had spin on fuel filters on my other boat and they were so simple to change.
Kind regards

Alan

#4 2020-08-23 17:45:07

Duncan_Hill
Committee Member
Website

Alan, looking at Racor's stuff, they do spin-on with clear bowl - I currently have push-mount with metal bowl, so I can't see a darn thing! Blue Opal's tanks are a pair of plastic ones, with no access port at all, unless I'm willing to take out the fuel feed fitting; not keen on that idea. The joining pipe for the pair of tanks is also not optimal (it's at the bottom, and you could drop something on it by accident, breaking the fitting and putting diesel where it shouldn't be.

I'll drop ASAP a line and see what they say.

Blue Opal, Victoria 34

#5 2020-08-24 12:36:25

John_Willis
Resigned
Website

Hello Duncan,

I have replaced the original filter system with a Racor on Pippin plus had an electric lift pump for bleeding.  Vast improvement all round IMHO.

Let me know if you want any further details

Regards

John Willis

#6 2020-08-24 13:10:53

Duncan_Hill
Committee Member
Website

A few photos or notes would be much appreciated John, especially on the lift pump aspect. I'm curious about where you had the electric lift pump fitted, given the general unfriendliness of the engine bay on a 34 (at least, unfriendly to someone who is over 6 feet tall). I think you have my email address (for any photos), but if not, just hit the email icon below my name and I'll reply smile

Blue Opal, Victoria 34

#7 2020-08-24 15:00:10

John_Willis
Resigned
Website

Email on its way Duncan

Board footer