#1 2020-05-04 15:17:05

Philip_Rowcliffe

Victoria 800: Access to stern gland

Hello all, I hope everyone is keeping well and relatively sane.
I'm taking advantage of this enforced absence from my boat to finally resolve the problem of access to my stern gland. As mentioned in a previous post, it is virtually impossible to get to the stern gland on the V800 and many owners have fitted various types of hatch in the cockpiit sole. My boat is at Thornham marina, Emsworth and the shipwright there, Steve Hulme, has suggested removing most of the cockpit sole apart from a 2 inch flange all the way around (i.e. effectively cutting out the area covered by teak decking). This would then be replaced by a 3/4 inch plywood sole, epoxied and painted with non-skid, which would be bolted or screwed in place with a suitable seal. This would certainly give good access to the fuel tank and also enable work to be done on the stern gear which is beneath the fuel tank (not a great design, Victoria!). I should mention that I previously had a large hatch cut in the inboard side of the starboard cockpit locker, below the level of the sole, to try and solve the problem, but this didn't work; the panel which was cut out clips back into place.
I have 2 concerns: first, how watertight would the new sole be - Steve feels it should be fine, especially as it probably won't be accessed more than once a year. Second, would cutting out most of the sole affect the integrity of the hull in any way (e.g. by allowing flexing), especially as I already have the panel cut out in the adjacent cockpit locker. I would really appreciate any thoughts on these points before I make a decision on how to proceed. Thanks very much!

#2 2020-08-09 15:45:30

Ken_Davidson

Re: Victoria 800: Access to stern gland

Hi Phil. I know you posted this some time ago but did you find a solution and were/are you happy with it. Did you get any replies. My Vetus gland is leaking but I can’t get to it at all and Can only just about see it.

#3 2020-08-09 18:47:49

Philip_Rowcliffe

Hi Ken
I did get a couple of answers, and other owners have either built a purpose-made hatch, or fitted a ready-made one, but neither option really gave great access due to the size of the hatch. My solution was more radical and I had the entire cockpit sole cut out and a new one made and bolted down. The sole is balsa core, so that had to be back-filled. It's not as simple as having a hatch but I don't feel I need to access it more than once a year, so this solution suits me; in addition, the diesel filler was relocated. If you let me have your email address I can forward a couple of photos which shows it all clearly - the work was done by Steve Hulme at Thornham Marina, Emsworth, and I feel he did a nice job. If you need more info, just let me know - this really was a big flaw in the design which I feel is now resolved. Good luck!

#4 2020-08-10 11:34:04

Ken_Davidson

Thank you for the reply. I would be interested to see the pictures and my email address is kmdavidson100@aol.com. Do you have full access now?

#5 2020-08-17 12:42:16

Kevin_Misselbrook

Hi Phil,
I have a Frances 26 with similar issues.
Could you send me details / photos as well please ?
Moving the fuel filler also makes perfect sense.
Email is Kevin.Misselbrook@Gmail.com .
Many thanks.

ps:  Alternatively you may want to post them up onto the Facebook
Group https://www.facebook.com/groups/1855129161424891 for all Victoria users to see.

Board footer