#1 2019-09-29 17:48:49

Colin_Reid

Weather Helm V30

I wondered if other V30 owners have a lot of weather helm when the wind picks up? Its a problem on Tui that I have long tried to improve. A couple of years ago I had a new mainsail from Shore Sails and part of the brief was to address the weather helm. Its higher aspect than the original V30 sails, shorter foot and slightly fuller roach at the top, and cut quite flat. It has helped a bit but when the wind increases I have to take in a reef pretty quickly to ease the helm. I've tried all the things I can think of and had long discussions with Ben at Shore sails who is very helpful. I have got rid of mast rake, put a bit of pre-bend in the mast, (maybe not enough), sheet the sail good and flat when the wind picks up. I have a good mainsheet track that helps. The kicker doesn't have a very good angle but the wide mainsheet track makes up for it I think.

I'd be very interested to hear if other owners have a similar experience in which case it might be a design issue, or if it is only on my boat which means there is something not set up right.

How is the cutter version? Sue, if you read this, what is Que Sera like? Is the mast in the same position in the cutter? If so, the addition of the small bowsprit would move the centre of effort forward and reduce weather helm.   

thanks, Colin

#2 2019-10-30 14:20:17

Colin_Reid

Re: Weather Helm V30

it would be really helpful it one or two V30 owners who read this could comment on how much weather helm they experience. It would help a lot to know if this is a design issue common to all V30's or something to do with my setup.

thanks, Colin

#3 2020-02-11 21:13:28

Alex_Stephenson

Hi Colin,
Yes I also have experienced quite a bit of weather helm on my Victoria 30 and I have also played with mast rake genoa car positions etc my current set up is the best I have had and is an upright mast with small amount of pre bend in the mast I have also had a new main and genoa made. The main has only two full length top battens allowing me to tweak the sail shape using halyard tension and a downhaul.
I think from last years windy trip to the Orkneys using the full width of the traveller and reefing early and trying to keep the boat upright seems to have the most effect making me think it is a product of hull shape.

#4 2020-02-12 11:07:43

Colin_Reid

Hi Alex, that's exactly the setup I have ended up with. I have also fitted a feathering prop this winter and I'll be interested to see if that helps as it should improve the water flow over the runner. Ben Green (Shore Sails) suggested that the fixed blade prop was producing turbulent water flow over about 1/4 of the rudder area making it less effective. We'll see..

here is a reply I had via email from Victoria owner Jerry:

Possibly a bit of a design issue to some extent.
But most boats have this characteristic to some degree as all the intended design starts to fall over when the boat starts to heal and then the compromise takes place.
It sound like you have played around a bit to try and improve so you are doing all the right things I guess you just need to find the best slot that suits your boat.

On mine I have the same issue especially with a full main however put the first reef in and mine is a moderately shallow reef keeping a full jib the boat is extremely well balanced and little weather helm.
My jib is 120% which I find works very well although I have had the sail well modified in the past (Ben Green Victoria original sailmaker) to improve efficiently to windward.
I tend to sail with the first reef in a lot for this very reason as I am not convinced the extra sail adds much speed unless light winds.
I have probably just got used to the weather helm issue, the Autopilot (a heavy duty one) can struggle if I don’t bet the sail balance right for the conditions but that is the same for any boat.
One of the reasons for asking you how long your tiller was some time ago now was for this very reason weather helm.
Every boat is different so I really don’t know the answer – weight distribution perhaps as I have a lot of chain forward probably more then I should have.

Jerry

#5 2020-03-27 01:45:05

Jonathan_Mills

When I ordered my main from Ben Green at Shore sails he encouraged me to buy a shorter footed main to get a more balanced sail configuration. They work well. However the previous sails had become so baggy they are an unfair point of comparison. Worth talking to Ben.

Jonathan Mills
Victoria 30

Board footer