You are not logged in.

#1 2018-12-17 07:54:15

Kevin_Misselbrook
Resigned

Cockpit Drains on a Frances 26

Dear All,
I bought my Frances 26 two years ago and wondered if owners have made any changes to the cockpit drain arrangements.
My through hull fittings are white plastic which I suspect are the original 30 year old ones ?
There are no seacocks installed on the inside either.
Is this the case with all F26's, and have other owners fitted seacocks ?
Views, opinions, and your experience would be appreciated.

#2 2018-12-18 16:05:13

Manuel_Garcia
Resigned

Re: Cockpit Drains on a Frances 26

Mi barco es del año 1988 y tanto los pasacascos del casco como los drenajes de la bañera son de bronce. Supongo que son a estos los que citas.

#3 2018-12-19 14:34:58

Jonathan_Hopper

Francesca has plastic skin fittings for the cockpit drains.    I was advised to change to bronze before going offshore due to the risk of an object in the water slicing up the hull and taking the outside flange off.

I changed one.   The plastic was surprisingly robust.   Removing it too more effort than I expected, and the hose in the stern locker was a pain to replace.   The experience made me think that the plastic fitting it probably sturdy enough.   If it isn't then the inner part of the fitting is very tight on the hull (ie the hole is exactly the right size) with sealant, so the risk of a hole in the hull is small.   The thought of trying to reinstate another drain pipe was probably the biggest factor in my decision!

#4 2018-12-23 13:59:11

Kevin_Misselbrook
Resigned

Thank you both.
Can you advise whether you have fitted seacocks ? 
Kevin.

#5 2018-12-23 22:59:11

Jonathan_Hopper

Thought about it but didn't.    A skin fitting plus valve plus hosetail may make the fitting a bit high.   Perhaps there is a way round this -- I didn't put much effort into seeing if it was a problem, and what the possible answers were.   Since it is above the waterline, if it were to fail, to be a problem it would be at sea, and I would therefore be there to put a bung in place.

#6 2019-01-01 19:26:31

Andrew_Gleadle

Hi

I have the same white plastic hull fitting on my Frances 26 cockpit drains and have also been considering replacing them. They don’t exhibit any signs of degradation and I don't plan to do it this year and will continue to keep a couple of bungs handy.

I will be very interested to know how you get on with yours and what fittings and pipe you use if replacing them.

Andy

#7 2019-01-03 13:32:34

Kevin_Misselbrook
Resigned

Thanks All,

I did remove the old pipes yesterday which although in reasonable condition were hard, inflexible and slightly distorted.
They did take a lot of straining, sweat and tears to get them out.  But ... I discovered that cutting them through the middle made it easier as it means you're not trying to compress them against the other fitting and you can twist and rotate them to break the seal.

I'll be putting in general purpose reinforced hose similar to the link below with new jubilee clips (two per join)

https://www.asap-supplies.com/hose/gene … ose-412438 

Looking at the plastic skin fittings now that they are fully exposed has led me to think I'll leave them in situ.  They are substantial and I see that it would be a challenge to get them out without causing more damage.  Also with the hull cambered towards the bulkhead I doubt whether I could get a seacock in ... but if anyone has managed to get seacocks installed I'd love to know.

Kevin.

Board footer