You are not logged in.

#1 2021-06-22 04:04:45

Bill_Robinson

Frances 26 tiller length, and hinge.

Can anyone tell me what the “standard” tiller length is on a Frances 26? I have two tillers, the first measures 1,95m from the rudder fixing bolt, and the other 1,2m. I suspect one is too long, and the other too short!

I am also considering making a hinge in the tiller, to fold part of the tiller aft when socializing in the cockpit. Has anyone done this?

#2 2021-06-23 18:11:41

Jonathan_Hopper

Re: Frances 26 tiller length, and hinge.

Francesca's tiller is about 1.39m measured from the back of the rudder stock, or 1.24m measured from the front of the stock.

I just lash the tiller to the pushpit when not in use, which has the added advantage of not wearing the gudgeons.   Perhaps not a technique for tidal mooring or at anchor, and can see the added advantage of a hinge.

#3 2021-06-23 23:21:25

Bill_Robinson

Re: Frances 26 tiller length, and hinge.

Thank you Jonathan for your your reply. As I suspected my long tiller is way too long, but the shorter one is close to standard, so I will keep it as a spare, and laminate up a new one.

On my Ebbtide 36 I also usually just lash the tiller to one side, as hinging it is not practical due to the mainsheet traveller which passes over the tiller.

Part of my reasoning for considering a hinge on my Frances 26, is that it can also serve as a strong point for attaching the autopilot, and the servo pendulum wind vane control lines. The current set up has two 6mm bolts passing vertically through the tiller to fasten the bracket for the autopilot, this therefore weakens it considerably.

Board footer