You are not logged in.

#1 2020-08-25 10:22:48

Alastair_Fleming

Vitting a holding tank in a V34

Hi All,

I'm curious as to whether anyone has retrofitted a holding tank to the heads in a Victoria 34. If so if you could say where it is fitted, who supplied the tank and any other useful info.

Many thanks

Alastair

#2 2020-08-25 12:51:26

Charles_Grossie
Committee Member

Re: Vitting a holding tank in a V34

Hi Alistair,
A holding tank is fitted to my V34 and the tank is installed under the forward port side berth. There is a mass of plumbing and diverter valves immediately behind the heads and as yet, I have to use the holding tank (not been anywhere to use it!).
This was installed when I bought the boat, so don't have any specific info to help you.
This may be of some help?
Not sure if the V34 Handbook contains any such information?

Victoria 34 Cutter - 'Anitra'

#3 2020-08-26 09:56:10

Alastair_Fleming

Hi Charles,

Thanks for that. I'm particular interested given where the tank is situated. Both the seawater inlet and raw water outlet in Kaya are located under the same port side forward berth. Is there any chance you could give me  a couple of photos showing the tank under that berth?

Thanks

Alastair

#4 2020-09-02 11:55:52

Don_Smith

Alistair,

When we bought Triptych she was fitted with a holding bladder in the port forward locker. It vented overboard but even when empty and cleansed smelled foul and bloated whatever we did or didn't do to it. The bladder was made by Vetus I recall, but was very brittle, at the end of its days. I ripped it out last year and replaced all hoses, installing a SeaSmart unit to the sea water inlet hose and everything smells sweet as it should.

There may come a time when I am compelled to fit a holding tank, but until then we have easy access to shore facilities when we need them. I'm not impressed with the flexible bladder option but fitting a plastic or SS unit would be better functionally if more involved. I do have the diverted unit if it's any use to you.

Don Smith
Triptych V34, Conwy

#5 2020-09-04 16:45:19

Richard_Saunders
Committee Member

Last year some friends and I chartered a yacht in the Med where every yacht has to be fitted with a holding  tank.  Our yacht, a 47, had 4 heads and each one had a holding tank!  Each heads pumped into the holding tank by default and depending on whether the outlet through hull valve fitting was open or closed either went straight to the sea or stayed in the tank.  There was no need for diverter valves but there was presumably some sort of vent somewhere.  We simply opened the through hull valve fitting when we were out at sea to empty the tank and shut it before we went back into a harbour.  Very simple with no need for any extra plumbing.

Richard Saunders
V34 Wynn

#6 2020-09-05 10:55:20

Richard_Saunders
Committee Member

Thanks, Don for mentioning the SeaSmart device. I’ve not come across this before but it sounds like just what we need on Wynn!
Richard

#7 2020-09-05 14:40:48

Don_Smith

Richard,

I recall we had a similar arrangement on Ionian flotillas - straight out into a holding tank that you drained at sea through a sea cock. Usually simple but one year we had the holding tank from hell; the owner and an engineer had to come out to sort it out. I'll leave it at that, except to say, "Be very circumspect about any fresh water hose offered to you at an Ionian quay or marina."

Don
Triptych V34, Conwy

Board footer