You are not logged in.

#1 2014-07-19 12:20:59

Lorraine_Dryden

SPRAY HOODS - Frances 26

Hi all
Looking for advice.  From February last year, Paul and I are very proud owners of Jorené, our Frances 26.  The sprayhood has seen better days and we would like to replace both it and the frame, to a more curved version rather than 'squareish' as is currently.
Has anyone done this and can you recommend a manufacturer?
We don't want to start moving the mainsail track which is located at the entrance to the companionway, and also need to give consideration to heights should we want to run with the wind.  Any hints, tips, things to consider/look out for, much appreciated.  Lorraine D.

#2 2014-07-19 21:17:20

Jonathan_Hopper

Re: SPRAY HOODS - Frances 26

Lorraine -

Mine was re-made by a local sail maker a few years ago, and most dimensions are bigger.   A bit more height, as you say with some curve, which can also come aft with curve in the same manner.   If I manage to add some photos you may also notice the the front track is a bit more forward from the original (please note that when the photos were taken the track had not been fitted).   Your best best to find somebody local to you who will measure up exactly that you want and fit.

With regard to running, I find that the hood either gets dropped (ie rare nice weather!) or I take off the strap that holds the side which the mainsheet is sitting on, thus leaving the hood up.   The remaining elastic (you can just make it out in the second photo, above/right of the fender) and the strap on the other side will happily do this.

DSC00094.jpg

DSC00098.jpg

#3 2014-07-20 11:03:54

Lorraine_Dryden

Re: SPRAY HOODS - Frances 26

Thanks Jonathan - this info is really helpful.  What a lovely boat - and very smart with the hood without detracting from the Frances' natural style.  Lorraine

Board footer