#1 2011-09-27 16:13:58

Richard_Saunders

Victoria 30 WYNN

WYNN is a Victoria 30 Sloop owned and sailed by Mike & Pauline Pearce and Richard & Meryl Saunders.  She is normally kept on a mooring in Itchenor Reach, Chichester.

V30-Wynn.jpg

Wynn, originally called Victoria Conway II, was built in 1991 as a sailing school boat and was initially based in north Wales.  When the sailing school folded she was bought by a local who renamed her Wynn.  Mike bought Wynn in 1996 and relocated her to Chichester harbour where she has been based ever since.  Due to her initial use Wynn differs slightly from other Victoria 30's; most noticeable is the lack of a teak deck and toe rail and there is no opening hatch above the saloon.  This space on deck was taken up by the larger than normal liferaft - she had 7 berths!  Down below the most obvious difference is the lack of the locker and shelving space on the port side to mirror that on starboard where instead there is a slide-out pilot berth.  With the lee-cloth up though, this berth makes a great stowage space for crew's bags.

Mike used Wynn mainly around the Solent area and for a number of years I have been lucky to sail with him on some longer trips.  We have sailed across the Channel on many occaisions visiting the Channel Islands and the French coast.  Our most memorable trips have included a cruise via Guernsey and Jersey to St Malo with the return leg taking in some of the ports on the west of the Cotentin peninsular and a 'Normandy Beaches' trip from St Vaast around the coast ending in Honfleur taking in several ports along the way including a stop inside the mulberry harbour at Arromanches.

Mike and I have both recently retired and this year I bought a 50% share in Wynn from him with the intention of using some of my 'spare time' sailing.  So far 'spare time' seems to have been fairly elusive so we will have to make a greater effort to get out on the water more next year.  In the meantime Wynn is currently out of the water for the winter awaiting some maintenance!

#2 2012-10-30 17:53:20

Richard_Saunders

Re: Victoria 30 WYNN

Update for 2012

Wynn was out of the water until mid-March.  As well as the usual hull clean and re-antifoul we also took advantage of this time to change all the underwater through-hull fittings and seacocks.  The old ones were mostly the nickel coated brass variety i.e. silver coloured.  Although looking quite corroded on the surface none of them seemed to have been particularly weakened; but you don’t know this until you take them out!  We replaced them all with bronze through- hulls and DZR seacocks, or at least we hope that is what they are as you can’t tell just by looking and have to rely on the label on the pack being correct.  The large 1½” seacocks for the cockpit drains and the heads outlet were particularly awkward to get at!  At the same time we fitted a new Jabsco toilet together with new hoses and anti-syphon bends.  After all this we made sure Wynn wasn’t put back into the water until we were present but all went well – no leaks!

We also put in a shore power electricity system.  At present we have a battery charger and 3 single socket outlets connected.  We made good use of this early in the season when we stayed on-board overnight; the Mikuni heating system decided not to work but we were able to run an electric fan heater instead!   A carpenter friend also made some new washboards for Wynn which certainly look the business.

I have moved the account of Wynn's summer cruise to the new 'Cruising Logs' section

Last edited by Richard_Saunders (2012-11-15 18:10:46)

Board footer