You are not logged in.

#1 2011-02-24 20:41:14

Admin
Kraken

V34 - Raven's Refit

[Moved from 'Technical Advice' pages, dated 07/04/10]   

Ian and Nan Gray have been members of the association since June 2006, when they announced they had bought a Victoria 34 in a fairly sorry state and were going to comprehensively restore and refit her.

Ian also said he would document and photograph much of the work and make any lessons learnt during the refit available to other members of the association. Ian has been as good as his word and recently sent both a letter and a summary of the work he has completed (see below).

1352215903_raven_in_the_crinan_canal.jpg
Photo: Raven in the Crinan Canal after her 18 month refit.

#2 2011-02-24 20:43:15

Admin
Kraken

Re: V34 - Raven's Refit

EDINBURGH

23 February 2010

VICTORIA 34STC "RAVEN"

As you will see from my entry on the “our boats” page on the association website in 2006, I took on the restoration of “Katey Dedalus II”, the sail training version of the V34. She had been laid up ashore in yard at Malahide Marina north of Dublin for 8 or 9 years. She had been bought new in 1992 along with a V26 and V30 to set up the Ulysses Sailing School in Dublin. This did not take off and the owner laid up the V34 as the most expensive boat to run.

I surveyed her and found her in exceptionally good structural condition and good cosmetically under the layers of grime, but all mechanical, electrical and electronic systems would require renewal and sail handling systems would require revision for short handed sailing. This gave me the opportunity to have a boat that was almost as new and with systems of my own choosing. The mechanicals were in such poor order that it was agreed that she be delivered to the Clyde before payment was made. This was the best decision I ever made!

Anyway, she was delivered to the Clyde and we spent a month in the water just cleaning her up and figuring out where we were going with the refit. She was then hauled out and work began. Needless to say things escalated and it would be another year before she was in the water and still with things to be done. At the time I said I would write up the work (I did all the work myself) as advice to other owners. When we did complete the work we were so glad to be sailing again that for the last two years any write up has been on the back burner. We have done so much that to write it up would not necessarily be pertinent to individual requirements and I would suggest I merely make a short précis of each category and I can go into more detail if an owner has a problem I might have a solution to. I have already replied to a couple of requests. I attach this summary as a separate document and also attach a photo of Raven in the Crinan canal on our way back to our Dunstaffnage mooring from the Clyde, refit complete, to update our webpage.

Yours sincerely

Ian Gray

#3 2011-02-24 20:45:18

Admin
Kraken

Summary of Work carried out on Victoria 34STC “Raven” starting from bow and working aft.

I am not a marine professional and I take no responsibility for advice given. It is up to the individual boat owner how he interprets it and whether he accepts it.

HULL AND INTERIOR

1. New stem fitting made to carry a Delta anchor snugly and incorporating a tang for emergency inner forestay. I can provide photos and CAD drawing to enable laser cutting of stainless steel components.
  2. New longer tang fitting for forestay kept separate rather than incorporated as on original.
  3. I was not satisfied with the chain locker draining into the boat and carried out modifications to drain it overboard, I like to keep salt water outside. I can expand on this.
  4. Fitted Lofrans Tigres windlass. I can supply CAD drawing for moulded plinth and wiring installation.
  5. Re-glazed crazed Lewmar portlights. Can give advice.
  6. Recovered head lining panels under sidedecks. Can give advice.
  7. Blakes Lavac toilet installation. Can supply advice / photos.
  8. The toilet installation also involved a diverter valve from the seawater inlet to a deckwash pump which was also installed below the basin and quick connect on the side deck. Can provide advice on installation, wiring etc.
  9. Completely rewired the boat using tinned cable, can provide wiring diagram advice / photos.
 10. Modifications to diesel tank to allow cleaning of tank, taking sample off bottom to check for water and pipework and filter to suit new engine installation.
 11. Re-engining – Raven was fitted with a Volvo 2003 which was a requirement of the Joint Services STCs. This had a 7º down angle gearbox but most boats will be fitted with a Yanmar but the principles are the same. I wanted to fit an Aquadrive or Pythondrive CV coupling as Cutless bearing wear was rapid. I did CAD overlays of several engines with this setup and the only possibilities were Beta 25 or Yanmar 20. I settled for the Beta 25. I can provide photos, CAD drawings and advice.
 12. Feathering prop – I did CAD overlays of several props and the only one which would fit without dropping the rudder at the time I was making my decision was a Variprop but now the Darglow Featherstream would appear to be suitable and it is British made. A disc type ropecutter was used as there is not enough room for the preferable scissors type. I can provide photos, CAD drawings, and advice.
 13. Rudder bearings – “Raven” is tiller steered and these comments do not necessarily refer to wheel steered. The rudder stock had dropped so far that the tiller head was sitting on the top bearing and had caused substantial damage to this bearing. I could only assume that there must have been some sort of thrust washer sitting on top of the heel fitting which had worn away. When I removed the heel fitting there was evidence of dezincification of this. I therefore had a bronze bearing made to lift the rudder and at the same time this would provide electrical continuity with the bonding system to the anode to prevent this dezincification. I also intend to fit a small anode to the heel fitting. I can provide details of this modification.
 14. Tiller head – the standard lifting tiller fitting is not substantial and showed considerable wear. I designed and had made a new stainless steel tiller head. Having removed the top bearing and had the top surface skimmed in the lathe to a level surface, this was designed to sit on a nylon washer (which also incorporated an O ring to prevent water getting down below) which shared the load on the heel fitting bearing. This is a very substantial fitting and provides beautifully precise steering with absolutely no play. I can provide CAD drawings, photos and advice.
 15. Mikuni diesel fired heating – I completely stripped down the heater and rebuilt it with new gaskets , etc. I also replaced the corroded paper and aluminium foil ducting with a superior plastic, wire reinforced variety which is available from Mikuni at very little greater cost. I can provide advice.

RIG, SELDEN MAST

1. I can provide drawings of stackpack / lazyjacks which work well.
  2. Setting up mast and chocking.
  3. Fitting extra halyard exit slots.

#4 2012-06-13 19:21:45

Jan_van_Miltenburg

Dear Ian,

My V34 Tessera is currently fitted with a Yanmar 3GM30, which needs replacement. Would you recommend me re-engining with an Beta Marine, and, if so, with a 25 or 30 hp engine? May I know if you've had any problems since having re-engined?

Yours,
Jan van Miltenburg

Kind regards,
Jan van Miltenburg

#5 2012-06-14 17:39:58

Ian_Gray

Dear Jan

I had different priorities as my 34STC was fitted with a Volvo with a down angle gearbox and as I had been very pleased with the Aquadrive which I fitted to my earlier Vancouver decided to go down the same route. I measured very carefully and was surprised just how tight a fit the Beta 25 was and once installed surprised that it LOOKED so large compared with the Volvo and the Yanmar. I had rejected the idea of the 28 which is not one of the Kubota Mini Series and appears to be a much larger unit, because of length for my installation but I don't think it would fit. My Beta 25 has now done 350hrs with no problems but I think if I was carrying out a straightforward re-engining with no Aquadrive I would stick with Yanmar. I was surprised when I shopped around how large discounts could be negotiated with suppliers and I think prices would be very similar. The Beta has a few marinising quirks such as I had to file a flat on the main drive pulley to allow me to change a drive belt quickly as there was not enough space between it and the raw water feed. The multi groove belts are a must. I had to change V belts on my old Yanmar twice a year and adjust it weekly and the engine was covered in black dust. I have not had to adjust the multi grooved belt yet ... and virtually no dust.
I find the Beta 25 adequately powerful but I run under a fairly high load at 2600revs which gives a cruising speed with a clean bottom just short of 6 knots. A larger unit would probably allow you to run at lower revs which would be quieter and better cruising speed but not good for the engine. Yanmar recommend using 80% maximum revs ... 2900revs ... I would find that a too loud.
I also find my installation noisy at low revs and only smooths out over 2000revs. Everything checks out and this may be down to either the feathering prop or the CV joints running near maximum angle causing a drive train rattle. I do find the feathering prop gives superb thrust in astern.

If you have any questions do not hesitate to contact me. I am about to set off on a month or six week cruise but I am sure I will be somewhere with wi-fi. The mobile phone network on the west coast of Scotland is slow but getting better ... but no 3G! I have yet to figure out putting photo attachments on the website but I can provide photos.

Regards
Ian

#6 2012-06-15 21:25:49

Jan_van_Miltenburg

Dear Ian,

Thank you indeed for your quick reply. I now seem to have some questions to ask my local dealer here in the Netherlands: would it fit and would it - at the minimum - be as quiet as my current 3GM30?

I've had an offer for a Beta 30, apparently quieter and nicer than the previously built 28, for €6475, including mounts and gear.

Whereas I've had an offer of €10000 for a new Yanmar. Which is puzzling as you Brits generally seem quite pleased with Beta's. But I do take it that you're generally happy with your Beta, despite the noise issue.

Shoud you be able to send me any picture I would indeed be happy to receive it, at: jwvmiltenburg67@gmail.com.

Thank you again and I gladly take up your offer the put any further questions I have to you. Enjoy your sailing!

Yours, Jan

Kind regards,
Jan van Miltenburg

#7 2012-12-07 23:29:56

Jan_van_Miltenburg

Dear Ian,

I thought I'd just let you and other members know that I've had my original Yanmar maintained. The most important jobs have been done on the vaporizers & generator, cooling pump initially, and just a week ago on the engine mounts & starter relais and an additional water inlet filter has been fitted. As a result the 3GM30 seems to be running quite smooth again. You were right in putting the question to me why I should bother replacing my Yanmar at all instead of having here maintained by a professional mechanic; he explained to me that my 1988 model was designed for fresh or salt water, apparently different to current designs. And the job provided me with a end-of-November trip up and down from Den Oever to Hoorn, under full moon and good visibility. What more could I have wished for as a end-of-season trip?

Last edited by Jan_van_Miltenburg (2013-02-18 22:01:06)

Kind regards,
Jan van Miltenburg

#8 2017-05-14 06:09:49

John_Willis
Resigned
Website

Hello,

I have very much enjoyed reading of Raven's refit and been very impressed by your skills.

Can you please tell me how you reglazed your port-lights and did you replace the rubber gaskets?  If so, where did you get the gasket material?

I also don't like the anchor locker draining into the bilges and would be most interested in how you fitted a self draining anchor locker.

Best wishes

John Willis
Frances 35 Pilothouse 'Pippin'
jmwillis290@gmail.com

#9 2017-07-16 20:42:07

Duncan_Hill
Committee Member
Website

John,

I've got a Victoria 34 built in 1998 - her anchor locker has two holes towards the bow for draining the locker, and they go straight out through the hull. There's a fitting at the end of the drain, a fairing if you will, that I assume stops waves forcing their way up the holes too easily. When I'm next on board, I can try and get some photos that might help.

Blue Opal, Victoria 34

#10 2018-03-03 18:55:18

Mark_Kingsland

Hi
We have recently purchased a Vic 34 and we are slowly refitting and upgrading her. I read with interest your improvements to the Anchor Locker as I also have reservations about the locker draining to the bilge.
Any information or recommendations on how you improved the anchor locker to drain overboard would be greatly appreciated

Regards
Mark

#11 2019-05-04 16:08:57

Ronald_Schenkel
Website

Hi, I would be very happy to learn more about the Lofrans Tiger Windlass installation as I plan to replace my manual windlass. I would be very happy to get the CAD drawings and wiring plan. Best Regards, Ronald

Board footer