#1 2019-09-29 16:48:49

Colin_Reid

Weather Helm V30

I wondered if other V30 owners have a lot of weather helm when the wind picks up? Its a problem on Tui that I have long tried to improve. A couple of years ago I had a new mainsail from Shore Sails and part of the brief was to address the weather helm. Its higher aspect than the original V30 sails, shorter foot and slightly fuller roach at the top, and cut quite flat. It has helped a bit but when the wind increases I have to take in a reef pretty quickly to ease the helm. I've tried all the things I can think of and had long discussions with Ben at Shore sails who is very helpful. I have got rid of mast rake, put a bit of pre-bend in the mast, (maybe not enough), sheet the sail good and flat when the wind picks up. I have a good mainsheet track that helps. The kicker doesn't have a very good angle but the wide mainsheet track makes up for it I think.

I'd be very interested to hear if other owners have a similar experience in which case it might be a design issue, or if it is only on my boat which means there is something not set up right.

How is the cutter version? Sue, if you read this, what is Que Sera like? Is the mast in the same position in the cutter? If so, the addition of the small bowsprit would move the centre of effort forward and reduce weather helm.   

thanks, Colin

#2 2019-10-30 13:20:17

Colin_Reid

Re: Weather Helm V30

it would be really helpful it one or two V30 owners who read this could comment on how much weather helm they experience. It would help a lot to know if this is a design issue common to all V30's or something to do with my setup.

thanks, Colin

Board footer