#1 2011-05-27 20:02:21

Ian_Johnston

Victoria 26 cockpit locker drain

Jumblie likes keeping about 2" - 3" of water at the bottom of her cockpit locker - the deep one on the port side. The inner side of the locker is a plywood panel next to the engine space but I can't work out what is supposed to be right at the bottom, where it seems to be a small GRP wall. Should there be a limber hole to allow draining into the bilge from the very bottom?

#2 2011-06-01 20:19:10

Jeremy_Fox
Resigned

Re: Victoria 26 cockpit locker drain

You can test the source by (wait for it) tasting it. If it tastes salty then the ingress is probably from below the water line, in which  case I can think of only two sources: a) the shaft/ stuffing box; or b) a slight leak though an anode fitting (my external anode is fitted through the hull at the bottom of the port side locker). if it doesn't taste salty then it's rainwater.

Warm regards,

Jeremy

#3 2011-06-10 22:35:05

Ian_Johnston

Jeremy_Fox wrote:

You can test the source by (wait for it) tasting it. If it tastes salty then the ingress is probably from below the water line, in which  case I can think of only two sources: a) the shaft/ stuffing box; or b) a slight leak though an anode fitting (my external anode is fitted through the hull at the bottom of the port side locker). if it doesn't taste salty then it's rainwater.

Thanks Jeremy. It's not so much how it gets in that worries me as why it doesn't get out - I'd have expected the cockpit locker to drain into the bilge but it doesn't seem to.

#4 2011-06-11 13:09:31

Jonathan_Hopper

Ian_Johnston wrote:

Thanks Jeremy. It's not so much how it gets in that worries me as why it doesn't get out - I'd have expected the cockpit locker to drain into the bilge but it doesn't seem to.

My stern locker used to get some water in it from the gas vent hole from a large following sea (till I put in a gas box).   The water slowly evaporated leaving lots of salt crystals, and the odd bit of decaying spare anchor.   Used to send number 2 child in at the start of the season to clean it out, but she is too big now.

The std side locker got some water in from the hinges, which have now been off and had new sealant.   Have also sealed the pushpit, and winch base in the past.

The sorts of volume have been small, so worrying about where it went next hasn't really been an issue.   The exhaust hose is pretty low, so if serious amounts got in then it would drain down.   The std locker however would need much more water in it to reach a hole.   Having just read the YM report on the crash boat going through an inversion, the latch on that locker looks fairly important.  

There are no drain holes (at least low down) in either of them, but I instead focus on keeping the water out.   A question well worth thinking about though, as the std locker would would not be watertight in the event of a knockdown.

#5 2011-06-11 19:22:58

Ian_Johnston

Jonathan_Hopper wrote:

The sorts of volume have been small, so worrying about where it went next hasn't really been an issue.   The exhaust hose is pretty low, so if serious amounts got in then it would drain down.   The std locker however would need much more water in it to reach a hole.   Having just read the YM report on the crash boat going through an inversion, the latch on that locker looks fairly important.   

There are no drain holes (at least low down) in either of them, but I instead focus on keeping the water out.   A question well worth thinking about though, as the std locker would would not be watertight in the event of a knockdown.

I have a shallow rope locker on starboard - where it drains I have not yet discovered, but it certainly seems to drain. The big locker to port doesn't have any skin fittings itself, though it does have access to the lazarette space where the exhaust, cockpit drains, gas locker drain, manual bilge pump outlet and automatic bilge pump outlet all pepper the hull like a colander. That access is high up, though - 2' above the bottom of the locker.

My immediate concern is only with the bottom three inches or so. I don't like having water sitting there, because inevitable things which would be best not getting wet find their way down, and it also ensures that the air in the locker is always moist. Above 3' or so it drains into the engine compartment and thence the bilge.

Like you I found the YM roll test though provoking. In particular I'm wondering about the wide open access between cockpit locker and lazarette ... and the rather worn old Sowester catch on the locker lid.

Many thanks.

Ian.

Board footer