#1 2019-04-03 21:19:22

Admin
Administrator

South Coast Early Summer Rally to Emsworth Yacht Harbour

Our first Rally this year will be held at Emsworth in Chichester Harbour over the weekend of 18th/19th May. The channel leading up to Emsworth Yacht Harbour dries at low tide but sufficient depth is available for access and entry over the fixed sill at high water which
is around Midday on this weekend.

For yachts heading to Chichester Harbour the best time to arrive at the West Pole just off Chichester Harbour entrance is at HW-2hrs. There is not a great deal of tidal assistance going east towards the West Pole, however from HW-2 the tide turns west and will be
against you. This then gives you 2 hours of flood tide into the harbour and up to Emsworth, which is approx 5.5 miles from the West Pole ensuring you reach the marina with sufficient depth of water for an easy entrance.

This does mean a fairly early start in order to make the narrow window for access to the Yacht Harbour; another option is to spend Friday night elsewhere in Chichester Harbour. Northney Marina is only 2 miles from Emsworth meaning a very short trip on Saturday
morning and is accessible at all times possibly with the exception of an hour each side of low water given that it is Springs that weekend. There are also many moorings in the Emsworth Channel North of Hayling Island Sailing Club and you could chance your luck
on a vacant one!

Emsworth Yacht Harbour is privately owned and has very good facilities and friendly staff.  The on-site restaurant, The Deck, has been booked for a meal on Saturday evening.  Emsworth itself is a pleasant 15 minute stroll from the marina and has more tea shops cafés and pubs than you are likely to need!

If you would like to attend please let me know, supplying your name, yacht name and a mobile phone number, if possible. Please also give me the names of any crew. If you would like to attend by car the marina is easy to find a short distance down Thorney Road off the A259 on the right. There is ample parking on site. In this case please let me know the names of those travelling.

I will send further information, including pilotage details, to those intending to come to this rally nearer the time. I will book marina space for all the yachts and places in the restaurant for everyone. We will need to make our menu choices before the day and also
pay a deposit of £5 per person. Menu options will be sent to those wishing to attend.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Richard Saunders
VSA South Coast Regional Organiser.
richard@rnsaunders.plus.com
Home: 01892668354
Mobile: 07773013063

Board footer