#1 2018-10-29 19:54:17

Mark_Kingsland

Additional Battery

Updating our Victoria 34 and now ready to tackle the electrics. I want to add a starter battery and use the two existing batteries as house batteries, no problem with the wiring but it’s where to put the other battery! There is space below the port or starboard seating, but the cables will have to be quite long and run through the bilge, or it could go behind the drawers adjacent to companion way steps in the galley.
Do you have any other ideas or recommendations?
Also.......has anybody fitted a rigid plastic water tank in the space below the sink?

#2 2018-10-30 16:42:51

Charles_Grossie

Re: Additional Battery

Hi Mark,
On 'Anitra' The starter battery has been fitted below the sink leaving the original space for 2 domestic batteries.
Obviously, this reduces the storage for normal galley items, but serves the purpose well. A plastic rigid battery box is strapped into place.
Hope this helps.
Kind regards,
Charlie.

#3 2018-10-30 18:21:43

Mark_Kingsland

Thankyou Charlie, must admit never thought of putting it there.

Regards

Mark

#4 2018-10-31 11:35:17

Simon_Bound

Mark - the engine battery on our ex-V34 was fitted actually behind the engine/gearbox and behind the stuffing box on a rigid box.

#5 2018-10-31 22:59:31

Don_Smith

Triptych's engine battery is mounted on a shelf in the engine space, starboard side aft of the engine. Fortunately it's a sealed unit as topping up the cells would be a pig of a job and I'm not looking forward to the day it needs to be replaced as access is far from easy. Two domestic batteries are fitted under the navigator's seat.

We're fitted with water bladders that are passed their sell by date. I would like to fit rigid replacements even if their capacity is less. In reality, one can't fully fill the bladders as the cushions start to rise off the seats.

Don

#6 2018-10-31 23:24:16

Mark_Kingsland

Thanks for that info, I will have a look at the space, makes sense to be adjacent to the engine.

We have water tank bladders as well, and have been exploring other possibilities. I have just had a new diesel tank made by Tek Tanks, very well made but expensive, to have two custom tanks made to replace the Bladder tanks is not in our budget this year unfortunately. I was exploring the possibility of an off the shelf tank to fit under the galley sink as this is a bit of a dead storage space, although we would have less water on board it would be easier to monitor as we could fit a gauge.

#7 2018-11-01 06:27:45

Duncan_Hill

Blue Opal's three batteries are all under the port berth. Two house batteries live under the angled section of the saloon seating, and the engine battery is strapped in on the other side of the bulkhead. https://www.cricalix.net/2018/05/02/sui … and-wired/ may make it clearer what I'm describing. She's a master cabin layout, so there's no berth on starboard next to the engine bay.

Board footer