#1 2018-10-20 15:57:50

Jon_Spencer

FROM SPAIN IN A GALE

The following note was passed to me by Mike Healey.

Our Victoria 30, MAYA,  has only just returned from La Corunna in Spain to her home port, Campbeltown, in Scotland. We did the first leg non stop from La Corunna to Crosshaven in Cork. We encountered 3 night gales, one of which we hove-to and broke the boom goose neck, ripped two reefs on the main and broke the vang at the boom fitting. Sounds dramatic but actually they were minor incidents and temporarily repaired. The broken gooseneck was so wrapped up in reef rope we did not notice initially. At Cork we got everything fixed except the autohelm, which ground to a halt parallel with Brest in Biscay.  After Cork we continued up the Irish sea using hand steering and our excellent Hydrovane stopping in Arklow and Dublin. The trip was done just ahead of storm Ali, which is why we sheltered in Cork initially. We have good Furuno Navtex weather indication on board. We encountered some big seas in bright sunshine in Biscay and my two crew commented on how sea kindly MAYA was, riding everything so well. One crew had crossed Biscay fifteen times. We saw spouting whales and numerous porpoises. The whole trip was thoroughly enjoyable. I can recommend the East Coast of Ireland as a marvellous cruising area too. The Irish we met were incredibly kind. On the Spanish Coast we sailed as far south as Bayona, next to the port of Vigo. Past several nature reserve Islands. The Bayona yacht club there is first class. I'm afraid we only keep a very sparse log and the foregoing is only mentioned for general interest. Next summer we are planning a trip to the Azores, then return possibly via La Corunna in Spain again. We have got the bug for sailing in warm weather. It dries out the boat so well after a Scottish winter at a neighbouring farm under cover!

We are continuously reminded how well the wine glass and long keel design of our boat keeps us safe and fast. The Victoria 30 is better suited for this kind of passage than many bigger lighter fin keel yachts.

Board footer