#1 2018-09-12 14:58:35

Don_Smith

V34 NEW SAILS: SHORT Vs FULL LENGTH BATTENS

We are progressing well with refitting Triptych (V34) that we bought on the Hamble in summer 2017 and have had her sailing across to Ireland. With old baggy sails she did well enough but it's time now to consider the options.

It's going to be Dacron, probably Challenge Marblehead or similar. My local sailmaker is pushing full length battens, which I have never used, but he's rather short on detail when pressed. I'm also looking for other quotes and will be at the Soton boat show talking to the sailmakers.

Does anyone have any experience with full length battens? How much weight do they add to the hoist? How easy are they to fit every time the sails go back on? Basically, the pros and cons from a users perspective.

Many thanks

Don Smith

#2 2018-09-12 15:31:11

Charles_Grossie

Re: V34 NEW SAILS: SHORT Vs FULL LENGTH BATTENS

Hi Don,
I don't have full length battens on my main, but why don't you give Peter Sanders a call at Sander Sails in Lymington. He will give you impartial advice. :-)

Thanks.

Charlie.

#3 2018-09-12 15:48:37

John_Willis

Hi Don,

I have full length battens and had them on my previous boat.  I would not have anything else.  I am no expert but I find they produce a better shape which aids performance and because the sail will usually include batten cars, raising and lowering is easier than with plastic lugs.

I guess there will be many options regarding the batten cars, but any sail maker should be able to advise.

The downsides I find are that they are a little harder to raise between lazyjacks being more prone to catch and the sail (being stiffer and heavier) is a little more awkward to handle and stow.  They are also a little more expensive of course.

Mine were made by the sailmakers in Fowey and are of excellent quality.

I am happy to discuss in more detail if you want to email me.  I would certainly be very interested in reading details of your V34 refit.

Best wishes

John Willis
Pippin
Frances 34 Pilot House

#4 2018-09-12 22:03:54

Don_Smith

Charlie, John,

Many thanks for such quick replies.

Charlie: Sanders sailmakers are on my hit list so I'll follow that up, thank you.

John: The added weight of the hoist could be a potential problem for me. I'm the sail trimmer, tweaker and reefer aboard Triptych. When reefing, I'm told depowering can be a problem compared to short battened sail. I saw your mention in the current PBO article on sails.

As regards the refit, I'm collating that for the site with photos, etc. In short, she had not been looked after much for a few years and had been very slow to sell. We considered sailing her back to Conwy but thought better of it, and not wanting to be stranded in a far off yard, held to ransom, we trucked her back to Conwy. It was a good decision. An engine mount fell apart and the stern gear was in a state so I think we would have been a RNLI statistic before we reached Hurst Point. She's a hybrid rig, built as a sloop and converted to a cutter - negative bowsprit - so the published P,E,I,J,I2,J2 sail data doesn't quite match reality.

That's just a taster, the full saga will follow asap. In the meantime, look out for the November edition of Sailing Today.

Thank you, all input welcome,

Don

Triptych V34, Conwy

#5 2018-09-13 06:07:16

Jon_Spencer

Don,
I like John have a Frances 34, Albertine, and also have full length battens on cars. I can add nothing to the discussion other than to mention that I have an electric winch on the starboard side which easily hoists the main, complete with cars, and is also very useful in taking in the first reef on my single line system.  Removal of the sail or refitting usually takes about an hour and the battens slip into and out off their slots with ease with the battens finally storing along the length of the boom.
Enjoy the Boat Show.
Jon.

#6 2018-09-13 14:45:17

John_Willis

Don,

I sail solo and don't find handling the fully battened main a problem and I am no Hercules.  I shan't replace the stack pack canvas when it dies but will always retain lazyjacks as they are a great help in controlling errant sail cloth on a windy day.

As to depowering, I am not quite sure what you mean but if you mean loosening/tightening the foot, slackening/tightening the luff, dropping the main sail car to leeward, reefing (single line, first 2 reefs) then you can do all that just fine with fully battened main.

I have a 3rd reef cringle in the main and a winch on the mast, and plan to install boom mounted kit for pulling in the 3rd reef, albeit probably not from the cockpit.

I really do think once you try fully battened you won't want to go back but that is just my rather biased opinion!

Good luck whichever road you travel.

John Willis

#7 2018-09-13 21:17:18

Don_Smith

John,

Sorry for any confusion. By depowering I  meant casting off the kicker and easing the mainsheet to spill wind while I reef the main.

Charlie: I contacted Sanders Sails last week when Peter was away on leave. I got a helpful and competitive quote from him today and I intend to call tomorrow. I understand he has made quite a few V34 sails for the  15 JSASTC V34s at Hornet.

Don Smith

Triptych V34, Conwy

#8 2018-09-14 09:59:15

Charles_Grossie

Hi Don.

Peter Sanders made a full set of sails for my Biscay 36 ketch ~9 years ago and they transformed the boat. I opted for 3/4 length battens which turned out to be a good compromise. BTW, the sails are hurtling their way around the globe presently on 'Mary Luck' which was renamed 'Hanley Energy Endurance' and skippered by Gregor McGuckin for the GGR 2018 singlehanded non-stop round the world race. He is currently lying in 3rd place.

I had a new stack pack and new stay sail supplied by Peter a few weeks ago. Class cream to match the main and yankee.

All the best.

Charlie.

Board footer