#1 2018-08-07 08:12:08

Mark_Kingsland

Cockpit Lines

We are considering taking some of the lines from the mast back to the cockpit on our Victoria 34.
Is the coach roof strong enough to take clutches and a winch? Or will the roof need additional strengthening?
What lines do you suggest we bring back to to the cockpit?
Main Halyard, Topping Lift, Kicker, Reef 1 & Reef 2, Outhaul ???.......2 winches? 1 Winch?

#2 2018-08-07 10:43:28

Duncan_Hill

Re: Cockpit Lines

Blue Opal's lines come back on starboard to a set of clutches and winch; will see if I have a photo to hand anywhere later. These were fitted stock from the yard, so there's no headliner cut-out etc over the head (or quarter berth, depending on your internal layout).

My clutch bank holds reef 1 & 2, kicker, main halyard, self-tacking inner jib (cutter rig). I don't usually need to adjust the outhaul. Topping lift might be on there too, hard to recall right now, and she's across the Irish Sea from me. Jib halyard is on the mast because it's furling and never comes down.

#3 2018-08-07 10:44:28

Duncan_Hill

I've also had someone up the mast on that setup, and while there was a bit of creaking, I think it was more the rope creaking than anything else. In day-to-day sailing, I've not noticed anything, and she's had that setup for nearly 20 years before I bought her.

#4 2018-08-07 10:47:45

Duncan_Hill

https://www.dropbox.com/s/291y1pzanaag0 … t.jpg?dl=0 is one photo; not great in terms of showing the clutches.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rf0jj0v4oztnu … t.jpg?dl=0 - 5 lines coming aft, so maybe the topping is actually on the clutches. I'd know immediately if I could see them!

#5 2018-09-13 08:15:05

Don_Smith

Good morning Martin

On Triptych (V34) we inherited a reefing system that was neither one thing nor the other. The new tack was secured at the mast and the tack to the cockpit on starboard. The kicker was at the mast and only one winch was fitted to starboard.

I cut out the friction by sourcing two additional used winches - port, starboard for halyards and a reefing winch - and bringing all reefing, mast halyard and topping lift lines back the mast. The kicker now goes to the cockpit with the staysail sheet and clew out haul. It may be unfashionable but it works well.

Why? I had single line reefing on my previous boat but I still ended up going to the mast to pull through the lines when shaking out a reef. I hope you have better luck.

Yours

Don Smith

Triptych V34 Conwy

Board footer