#1 2018-08-13 10:19:59

Thomas_Bryant

Access ideas to packing gland on Victoria 26

I would like to achieve better access to the packing gland.  I read an article where one member achieved this by installing a hatch in the cockpit floor.  I've also considered a door/hatch in the quarter berth.  What would be best?

Thanks!
Tom

#2 2018-08-14 17:15:57

Jonathan_Hopper

Re: Access ideas to packing gland on Victoria 26

I cannot imagine access through the cockpit floor on Francesca as the stern gland is below the fuel tank.   Would need long arms, and a good sense of feel.   Is yours different?   However it has been done on the 800, but perhaps there is a difference in the arrangement.

Mine has access via the quarter berth, and can email you some photos in a few days.   I had assumed that all V26 and F26 with quarter berths have side access (useful also to the back of the engine) but apparently not.   On Francesca the wetbox usually needs moving to get good access to stern gear, but this can be moved out of the way in a couple of minutes.

As a matter of interest how do you access the gland at the moment?   Over the top of the engine?

#3 2018-08-14 22:21:11

Thomas_Bryant

Some photos would be great.  I would be interested to see how large of door was installed and the arrangement.  I haven't had to do much to the gland as of it but would like to set it up in the event that I do. 

Thank you for your help with this.
Tom

#4 2018-08-20 21:08:34

Andrew_Gleadle

Hi Tom

I was on my Frances 26, Panache, at the weekend and took some photo's of the access hatch in the pilot berth(https://www.dropbox.com/sh/tsjasp37d1vxmoh/AACyNR1bCdV38o4SnMoGsBeva?dl=0). As Jonathan says and as you can see from the photos, a hatch in the cockpit sole would only give very limited access because of the fuel tank.

I believe some boats have the access hatch in the cockpit locker instead of the pilot berth.

The measurements of the hatch on Panache are 56cm long by 29 cm high at the narrow end (stern facing) and 40 cm heigh at the opposite end (bow facing)

I hope this helps
Andy

#5 2018-08-30 01:53:35

David_Pereira

I installed a cockpit sole hatch in my V800 as there is no quarter berth. The engine is totally enclosed. It is not an ideal solution but the oval shape of the hatch allows access to "burp" the volvo shaft seal using water pump pliers. The locker already houses a holding tank bladder and pump, a heater, and a calorifier; so limited room!  I have installed a small hatch in the heads compartment which gives access to the fuel filter primer and the engine control connections.
My main reason for installing the hatch was so that the engine/shaft alignment could be carried out without putting weight on the flexible engine mounts. I have positioned a primary filter and water trap under the hatch so they can be worked on easily.

Board footer