#1 2018-05-22 17:06:33

Peter_Broadley

V30 Fuel Tank

Looking like I need to get the fuel tank out to clean it as something keeps blocking the supply.  Has anyone ever done this?  How does it come out?  Via the port cockpit locker maybe?  No other space seems possible without taking engine out.
Many thanks.

Peter
Athene

#2 2018-05-24 21:11:16

David_Pereira

Re: V30 Fuel Tank

I recently removed the fuel tank from my V800. There is no side access on the V800 and I'm not sure if access on the bigger V30 is as limited.  I had the engine removed, although I probably could have got away with moving it forward about 4'. The biggest problem was that the stainless steel tank is 3ft long and anchored by a vertical flange (tab) secured to the aft bulkhead by 3 bolts whose 'nyloc' nuts were situated in a sealed compartment under the gas locker.
I cut a 200mm x 150mm hole in the top of the tank for access and later bolted a plate with a gasket over the aperture. There is a drain plug in the port side forward end. I found that the fuel delivery pipe inlet was very near the tank bottom and this may account for the frequency of fuel blockages. Also my fuel filler cap is on the cockpit sole and unless the o ring is in good condition water will leak into the tank.
I'm making a big assumption that the same tank design was installed in most of the Victorias.
When I replaced the engine the only way to reach the shaft coupling was through a narrow gap over the top of the engine so it was impossible not to put body weight on the engine whilst lining up the shaft coupling. The solution was to put a hatch in the cockpit sole. Expensive but is a great improvement.
david

#3 2018-05-25 11:11:11

Peter_Broadley

Re: V30 Fuel Tank

Many thanks.  I have managed to empty out the tank and clean it with brake fluid via the fuel in pipe.  With diesel bug treatment and new fuel I have motored for 7 hours since without missing a beat so continuing with regular fuel filter changes and bug treatment I hope will solve the problem.

Peter
Athene

Board footer