#1 2018-02-10 16:07:33

David_Pereira

Rigging for Cruising chute on Victoria 800 Cutter

I am proposing to fly a cruising chute using an ATN tacker sleeve round the foot of the furled yankee jib. I am unsure where to run the sheets to in the cockpit and what arrangements I should install for controlling the sheets. Any suggestions or comments welcome.

#2 2018-02-12 09:31:48

Jon_Spencer

Re: Rigging for Cruising chute on Victoria 800 Cutter

David,
I own a Frances 34 which has a cruising chute kept in a snuffer and raised on the spinnaker halliard in winds of less than 10 knots apparent.  I use two long sheets, port and starboard, which are lead aft via the stern fairleads, and back to the rear cockpit winches.  This provides me with good control from the cockpit with the exception of raising and lowering the chute and snuffer when in use.  I have a short bowsprit which enables me to set the foot well forward on a short strop.
Jon.

#3 2018-02-14 14:23:48

Andrew_Gleadle

Hi David
I have a cruising chute with snuffer on my Frances 26.  It's hoisted via an external spinnaker halyard, the tack line goes through a block at the bow and is then made off to the sampson post. The sheets come back to the cockpit winches via two blocks attached to the pushpit.

I've flown it a couple of times and been able to adjust the tack as required and no real issues experienced with the routing of the sheets.

I hope this helps
Andy

#4 2018-02-14 16:39:18

David_Pereira

Thanks Both.
It is the sheeting angle given the stern shape of the Victoria800 that prompted the question. Initially I will secure blocks to the pushpit but try and find permanent positions on the coamings.
Now all I need is a break in the weather for sea trials!
david

Board footer