#1 2017-08-18 14:13:40

Admin
Administrator

Victoria 34 ANITRA

Charles Grossie writes:

Having sold my Biscay 36 Ketch (Mary Luck) to the only Irish Competitor in the forthcoming 2018 Golden Globe Race back in May this year, I decided to replace this excellent long-keeled ocean going yacht with ‘Anitra’ – a very nice and very capable V34 cutter which was hatched in 1990.

anitra.jpg

I had viewed ‘Anitra’ very briefly at Weir Quay Boat Yard (Bere Alston, River Tamar in Devon) in early June and decided she was for me. I had considered a few others too. Overall, she is in pretty good condition, but she does need some tidying up (like all boats do). I don’t have a full history of her ownership, but she had been owned by Linda and Scott Moss (who I don’t believe were members of the VictioriaShadow Association) from 2010 until this year. Prior to that, Gordon and Doreen Fraser owned her from 2004 and they were members of the Association. The original owner was a Mr A F Weller who owned her from new (original sales invoice exists). The original name of the V34 was ‘Tigger’ and it was Gordon and Doreen who renamed her ‘Anitra’.

‘Anitra’ (duck in Latin I am led to believe) has been based on the Devon and Cornwall coast all of her life. Going by the waypoints stored on the Raymarine chart plotter, she has cruised North and South Brittany, North Coast of Spain and the Scillies.

After relaunching ‘Anitra’ at Weir Quay mid-June, I spent the best part of a week getting her recommissioned and ship-shape in preparation for her trip back to Portrush in Northern Ireland. I had the help of a couple of good friends too which made it ‘fun’.
‘Anitra’ lies on her summer fore and aft moorings in Portrush harbour and will move up to Seaton’s privately owned Marina on the River Bann near Coleraine at the end of September, where she will be lifted out for the winter.

My impressions of the V34 are very good so far and the build quality is without question. It will take a while to get used to having a long fin and skeg again having sailed the long-keeled Biscay for almost 14 years.

#2 2017-08-30 12:31:32

Guy_Warner

Re: Victoria 34 ANITRA

You will not regret your purchase. I bought my V34 cutter Ruby Star in Spring 2015. She also dates from 1990. She was formerly Victoria Vision and Kipper of London. During which time, she did the ARC and the Round Britain Race. I have made many improvements including making the inner forestay into furling rather than self-tacking with a 110% staysail sheeted on the yankee leads. The yankee sheets are now led back outside to turning blocks in the cockpit. This arrangement has worked well at all points of sail. I have inner tracks on the coach roof which I intended to use for the staysail but I found that the spreaders interfered too much  and the potential of the sail was better sheeted further outboard. I have recently returned from a splendid trip to the Vilaine river in South Brittany via Jersey. We had 4 on board and Ruby Star performed faultlessly. However, I sail a lot single-handed from my base in Port Solent. Please ask me any queries you may have. Guy

Board footer