#1 2017-05-30 22:42:28

James_Van_Alstine

Using butyl tape to reseal brass portlights on V30

Hi all, does anyone have experience using butyl tape to reseal/rebed the 7 brass portlights on a V30? I have used various sealants over the years with varying levels of success (including applying butyl with caulking gun). Given lack of time and distance from where boat is stored I hired a yard to reseal/rebed the portlights this winter and they used butyl tape. This has been a disaster as significant leaks have occurred already this season. Now need to have them fix the problem. I am just not sure of best method. My choice is using butyl with caulking gun and applying generously to ensure proper seal etc. Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Jamie
V30 Shearwater

#2 2017-06-03 12:26:29

Jonathan_Hopper

Re: Using butyl tape to reseal brass portlights on V30

I have done a couple of the Lewmar potlight frames but cannot find a record of what I used.   Both have been fine.   

One may have been Sikaflex, and the other one Arbo BR.   Having re-sealed the Canpa hatch perspex from a kit from Eagle, they also offered excellent advice on best ways to keep the portlights sealed - hence using a different sealant on the second one.   

My recommendation is therefore to double check with Eagle - very helpful and knowledgeable.

If you do, please let us know the outcome - I also would have been tempted to try butyl strip, but perhaps there are certain applications that don't work for this method.

#3 Yesterday 16:25:41

Jonathan_Mills

Re: Using butyl tape to reseal brass portlights on V30

I was considering replacing the opening portholes with ones that aren't openable. Apart from ventilation is there any down side to this?
Best wishes

Jonathan Mills
Victoria 30

Board footer