#1 2017-03-19 06:47:00

Duncan_Hill

Accessing the saloon lights in a Victoria 34?

I've recently acquired a Victoria 34, and one of the saloon bulbs is blown. According to the previous owner, he's never had to change any, so doesn't know how the light fitting is pulled away from the trim. Does anyone have advice on doing so in a manner that isn't as brute-force as a screw driver levered against the lovely wood?

The fittings in question are 78mm across, flush mounted. I figure while I'm replacing the blown one, I'll replace all the halogen bulbs and cut down on the energy needed to light the saloon and nav station (she's master cabin layout).

#2 2017-03-22 08:30:23

Jon_Spencer

Re: Accessing the saloon lights in a Victoria 34?

Duncan,
In my experience the outer rim of the light fitting should twist either clockwise or anti-clockwise which should release the outer case and expose the bulb area.  However, there are so many fitting options that it is difficult to advise with any certainty.  It is certainly a good idea to undertake the replacement of all similar bulbs at the same time.
Jon.

#3 2017-03-22 09:03:15

Duncan_Hill

Cheers. They certainly didn't want to move under pressure, so I'm going to have to try something like a rubber/plastic plumbers wrench (that you see advertised on TV every now and then).

#4 2017-05-03 14:14:26

Duncan_Hill

Ok, these are a bit like bathroom lights - the ones with two spring-loaded bits to hold them against the wood. The rubber loop wrench cannot get enough purchase on the small bit of the fixture that's visible, so I've only managed to get one of them to drop out so far, and I'm not sure it's gone back in properly. If I work out a proper technique, I'll document it with photos smile

Board footer