#1 2017-03-19 07:32:48

Duncan_Hill

Victoria 34 - Blue Opal

I'm the new owner of Blue Opal, a Victoria 34 built in 1998 at the Warsash yards. She's spent those 18 years in Conwy, and looks more like a boat that's a few years old, not nearly 2 decades old. The previous owners kitted her out with what looks like every option in the Victoria repertoire, including a full electronics suite, master cabin layout, and navy blue hull.

#2 2017-03-19 07:39:26

Duncan_Hill

Re: Victoria 34 - Blue Opal

Works since purchase include

• new standing and running rigging,

• new lazy bag arrangement,

• replacing the sprayhood, dodgers, and UV strips,

• replacing the liferaft,

• minor engine bay changes for some of the hose, highlighted in the survey as not being suitable for the environment it was in,

• replaced the VHF with a DSC-enabled VHF,

I'm working on how to add AIS to her electronics suite - it's all pre-AIS SeaTalk-connected equipment, and so I'm weighing up options between the Icom MA-500TR (which can talk to the M323G that I just installed), the Watchmate (Vision or otherwise), and the Raymarine 650.

Blue Opal is currently ashore in Conwy, but will be in Dun Laoghaire by May, weather permitting.

#3 2017-03-22 08:36:48

Jon_Spencer

Duncan,
It is good to see such a comprehensive refit in what is obviously a well maintained boat.  It would be very useful for our members if you were able to capture some of the details, such as the reasons for the various items of refit, any problem areas experienced, and even if you are prepared a rough order of costs.  You will be aware from the Victoria 34 Technical Manual that we are always looking for details of any technical improvements and alterations to further help other new or potential owners.  I hope that you enjoy your sailing on BLUE OPAL.
Jon.

#4 2017-03-22 09:08:51

Duncan_Hill

Yep, I'm happy to share some detail about the costs once I've got the final bills in. I had looked at a HR 34 as well, and decided that for the price difference, I could do a lot of refit work if necessary. At this point, it's mostly things are 18 years old and either tired, or insurance mandated.

I have to say that I wouldn't have got nearly as much organised without someone on the ground in Conwy; another Victoria owner who used to run a sail training operation there was recommended to me by the broker, and he's been invaluable in finding local companies who could do the refit work.

Board footer