#1 2017-01-30 21:50:05

Hugo_Motamelo

access to water muffler Frances 26

My Frances 26 Boreas K has no access to the water muffler and because the vertical distance between mixing elbow and water muffler is less than 250mm I am worried because water can enter the engine while sailing in rough seas.

I think that one way of preventing such situation would be to empty the water muffler into the deep bilge and pump that water out of the boat( I think 4-5 litres) and on a long passage close a valve ( that does not exist) between exaust hose and through hull exaust (yes there is a big loop in the exaust hose but it is better to close the hose ). But to do that there must be access to the water muffler!

In my Frances 26 I have a waste deposit in the starboard locker and this deposit does not allow any kind of access as the water muffler is between the diesel deposit and the starboard locker. On the port side there is access ( not very good) to engine port side and rear and sterngland. Nothing more.

I am looking forward to hear any suggestions.

Excuse me for my english

Fair winds

Hugo Melo

#2 2017-02-02 22:26:45

Jonathan_Hopper

Re: access to water muffler Frances 26

Hugo - welcome to the forum.

Presumably Boreas K has a 1GM10 still - either original or replacement?   Some 26's have changed to either a Nanni 14 or a Beta 14 (or even Beta 16 or Beta 21) which have their exhaust outlets on the other side, so these can route their exhausts on the port side - good for access to the exhaust system, but less good for the stern gland!   

If it is a 1GM10 it may well be prudent to take off the exhaust mixer bend, clean and inspect, depending on age and when it was last looked at.   Also worth making sure that the anti-siphon is working.

With regards to muffler height, you could mitigate this risk by using a high rise exhaust mixer.   Beta sell them as an option, but Yanmar do not.   There was a company in the uk that fabricated them (Cellar marine), but you might want to investigate this more locally? 

A valve on the exhaust skin fitting is good practice, and difficult to argue against - just make sure that you remember to open it before starting the engine.

However, the installation you describe was standard on these boats, and I am not aware of any instances of failure in the manner you describe (hopefully somebody will correct me if there have been).

Happy sailing.

Jonathan

#3 2017-02-04 21:34:15

Hugo_Motamelo

Jonathan,

Thank you very much for the information.

Boreas K has a Yanmar 2GM20F engine and I think it is in the boat since it was built in 1988. As the engine is wider than the 1GM even the simple operation of oil level checking is difficult. It would be great to have access to starbord of engine and water muffler!
Probably I will have to eliminate the waste deposit tank and open in the plywood a hatch as there is one in port side.

I take a lot of care with the anti syphon valve and because it is very well hidden I changed the hose; instead of going into the deep bilge I have the hose going up along the companionway. The first thing I do after stoping the engine is to blow and blow  into the hose. This way I am almost sure that a siphon flow will not be maintained.

Regards and happy sailing

Hugo

#4 2017-02-10 10:27:52

Jonathan_Hopper

Hugo - most interesting to hear of a different installation from new.   The dates are consistent.   If you happen to have a photo or two I would be quite interested.   As a matter of interest, what propeller do you have?

I took some measurements this week of my installation:
Exhausting.jpg

From the engine block exhaust to the bottom of the bend is about 180mm, and from the engine block exhaust to the wetbox front connection is only 130mm.   It has been like this for 13 years, and although it looks far from ideal, I have had no problems so far.

I have heard of somebody who turns off their water inlet seacock a few seconds before stopping their engine in order to purge any water in their exhaust system - this may be an easier way than taking the drain out of the wet box.

Jonathan

Board footer