#1 2016-12-04 19:12:10

Keith_Walker

Downwind Pole

All,
My new to me Frances 34 came without a downwind pole, Im looking for assistance as to what I should buy to cover this shortfall?
My boat is cutter rigged, which I assume is the same rig for all Victoria/Frances cutter rigged boats?
My questions are:
What size of downwind pole do you guys have or would recommend, fixed length or adjustable?
Diameter and strength, material types?
I also need a mast fitting, fixed or sliding? Any ideas on pole end fittings?
Recommended manufacturer?

My last boat a V800 sailed beautifully just off the downwind with the yankie poled out. Any help and advice gratefully received.

Keith Walker
My boat, Wren is a Frances 34 PH based in Rhu Marina on the Upper Clyde.

#2 2016-12-06 10:24:51

Jon_Spencer

Re: Downwind Pole

Keith,
We obviously appear to enjoy this same point of sailing which I find relaxing while at the same time providing good speed over ground.
We have a pole and fixed point on ALBERTINE, another Frances 34, but I will have to check the details when I am next on board.
Most of our sailing is in the Solent where distances are such that the pole is rarely used and in light winds over longer distances the cruising chute comes to the fore.
I will be in touch again.
Jon Spencer

#3 2016-12-07 15:12:38

Jon_Spencer

Keith,
I have now measured my pole the details of which are as follows: length 2.75m; diameter 0.15m; height of fixed point on mast from the coach roof 2m.
I trust that is sufficient information to enable you to proceed.
Jon.

#4 2016-12-09 19:01:14

Keith_Walker

Jon,
Thank you for taking the time to get those measurements for me. I don't think I’ll be able to pick anything up at a boat jumble so Ill drop into Selden Spars next time I’m passing followed by an internet search for the best prices.

Do you just rig it to the mast and sail sheet bowline (as I did with my last boat) or use fancy rigging methods akin to spinnaker poles?
Regards,
Keith.

#5 2016-12-13 09:23:23

Jon_Spencer

Keith,
I always find the simple approach is the best option, and it seems to work perfectly well for my relaxed approach to sailing.
By the way I made an error on my measurements: diameter should have read circumference!
Jon.

Board footer