#1 2019-10-24 12:36:01

Charles_Grossie

Victoria 34 - experience of replacing/upgrading their engine?

Hi all.

I plan to remove the Yanmar 3GM30F engine this winter to allow me to replace all of the crumbling engine insulation, but to also get at the stern gland properly and to do many other small jobs in and around the engine bay and beyond.

I will also give the engine a good going over too, but as most us will agree, the 24hp that this engine develops is on occasion not enough to drive it through a heavy sea - even with an efficient 3-bladed Darglow Featherstream propeller. Otherwise, it is a perfect engine.

I see that several V34s have fitted a Beta 30 and I am sure there are several other brands installed too.

Just interested to find out what others have replaced their trusty Yanmar with and whether or not the performance under power it noticeably better.

Obviously, cost is a factor as new engines are not cheap. Also, the physical space is very restricted too, so replacement options are limited.

Thanks.

Charlie.

#2 2019-10-25 05:24:14

Jon_Spencer
Administrator

Re: Victoria 34 - experience of replacing/upgrading their engine?

Charles,
On our Frances 34 (Albertine) we had installed a replacement Volvo by the local main dealer as my engineering skills are zero.  I regret that I do not have the exact details of model as we have now sold her to another member, Malcolm Hodd, and she is berthed at Woodbridge in Suffolk.  We were at the time concerned with the compatibility between engine and gear box and accepted a special deal, from the local main dealer R K Marine, and replaced everything, including the shaft and instrumentation.  While the engine was out of the engine compartment Lynda deep cleaned and relined the space with suitable insulation, and R K Marine then fitted and tested the new installations, and conducted the annual servicing in order to validate all the usual guarantees.  The process was not cheap and cost the best part of £10K, but in return we had completely trouble free motor sailing for the next six years except for a couple of minor aspects which were covered under guarantee.  The new insulation considerably improved the noise levels when motoring.  Good luck with your project.
Jon.

#3 2019-10-27 05:24:45

Don_Smith

Charlie,

When you bought Blue Opal, the other Conwy-based V34 (Conway Victoria One) had just re-engined with a Beta with a new gearbox. I don't know the size and she's since been bought so she's elsewhere, now called Tylini.

We had our Yanmar engine out when first bought and found one aft engine mount in a failed state and two more in failing condition. The engine space insulation was replaced and the whole space cleaned out. I took the opportunity to mount an automatic fire extinguisher on the inside of the engine inspection panel and fitted two SS handles on the other side to facilitate handling from the cockpit locker side.

I too find that in a chop my headway takes a beating and speed often halves but before I do anything else I must run a speed test in flat conditions and get the data to Darglow as I might need a different cassette for the prop.

The engine is otherwise doing what is expected of it, do I'm going to stick with it.

Best of luck with the project

Don

Triptych
V34, Conwy

#4 2019-10-27 16:00:15

John_Willis
Website

Hello Don,

as I wrote in the Q&A re Darglow props recently, my experience of the Yanmar on my F34PH under engine is much as you describe - probably worse as she is heavier than a V34.  I sent my data to Darglow (Pippin ran consistently below speed until maximum revs) and they recommended a cassette, but I haven't got round to it.

I would be interested to know the results you experience if you go that route.

Best wishes

JMW

#5 2019-10-27 23:00:00

Don_Smith

John,

We're coming out on Tuesday and I'm London tomorrow so we'll have wait until next year to know the answer. But at least we'll have a clean hull and prop for the speed/revs test. I can't expect those conditions now. If you do fit/substitute the cassette I'd be interested in your results, too. I believe Darglow return the deposit if you send back the original cassette; is that still the case?

Don
Triptych
V34, Conwy

#6 2019-10-28 08:44:59

Charles_Grossie

Thanks for the info guys. I now have the engine ready for lift-out later this week.

What about your replacement stern gear? I will most likely replace the prop shaft and the external cutlass bearing, but am wondering about the stern gland. Mine is a simple packed gland, with no oil feeder or remote greaser. To get at the stern gland is very difficult as you will know. The upside of the simple packed gland is that there is little to fail. I'll do a bit of research and find out from some of my local sailing friends what type of stern glands/seals they have used of the past few years. Volvo, PSS etc.

Kind regards,
Charlie.
Anitra
V34, Portrush.

#7 2019-10-28 22:30:17

Don_Smith

Charlie,
We had the same dilemma with Triptych. The stern gear was in rag order. We were offered a Volvo lip seal but I was not in the least bit enthusiastic about burping it at every launch, small though I am and with experience in caving. We refurbed the packing and grease and have not had a problem. The alternatives were considered but deferred in favour of what we had. Part of the decision I think involved reluctance of our engineer to wriggle into that area for any longer than necessary. It works, it isn't broken, .....

Don
Triptych
V34, Conwy

#8 2019-11-05 14:36:33

Duncan_Hill

Blue Opal, before I bought her, had a standard packed gland. Due to the access on a V34, I opted to have it changed over to a Volvo seal at the time. My suspicion is that this broke the circuit to the anode, which contributed to my stern gear degrading badly (you could break bits off of the outboard gear), and 6 months ashore in Wales getting a complete new stern tube and DSS-style seal. Photos of that are on my blog.

The Volvo seal worked well, and I had worked out a technique for burping it with a long wooden pole, but it wasn't something I was fond of. I'm 190cm+, and over 100 kg, so getting in to the engine bay is not something I can do - broad shoulders do not agree with the access hatch, and making the hatch bigger is liable to be a structural issue.

I'm now talking to a mechanic (or will be soon) to get a complete overhaul done on the 3GM30F in Blue Opal - she burned half her oil in 6 months, and I'm seeing exhaust particles on the elbow for the exhaust. I've vaguely contemplated taking the engine out and replacing it, but had (and have) no real reason to do so at the moment; well, maybe to check the mounts and replace the bay liner, but the bay liner is in decent condition (and is the foam + lead one from what I can tell), and the engine doesn't really sway that much.

#9 2019-11-05 23:29:31

Jonathan_Hopper

Stern gland:   If you like the Volvo seal, then check out the Radice seal (or now similar from a.s.a.p).   This is the same as the Volvo seal, except it does not need burping.   For low speed craft it uses a vent pipe (high speed it is connected to a forced water supply).

Duncan - stern gear de-zincification - It looked from your photo at the time that the cutless holder was held together with 2 stainless machine screws (or similar) rather than the original bronze bolts.   If so, this is most likely to have been the cause.   Stern tubes are not normally connected to an anode, and are fine this way so long as they do not have a mix of metals.

#10 2019-11-06 20:53:45

Admin
Administrator

Charles Grossie writes:

My Yanmar 3GM30F is now ready for lifting.  I adapted a ‘skid’ which I had made for my previous yacht, which allows you to pull the engine forward before lifting straight up and through the companion way.  I had to modify it slightly to suit the V34 of course.  In essence, this acts as an extension to the engine beds and also prevents damage to the floors should the engine drop any distance when removing it.

Yanmar1.jpg
Yanmar2.jpg
Yanmar3.jpg

Board footer