#1 2017-08-07 10:51:09

Don_Smith

FEATHERING PROPS V34

We have just bought Triptych, a V34 previously based in Ipswich. We found her on the Hamble and brought her up to Conwy by truck for refit.

One of the jobs to be done is to sort out the sterngear - worn cutlass bearing, failing shaft seal and rusted shaft coupling. We may have to move the engine out of its bay to get this work done, which gives us options on feathering props without having to drop the rudder.

Does anyone have experience of feathering props with the V34 and what effect does it have on the prop walk?

Many thanks

Don Smith

#2 2017-08-09 05:55:42

Jon_Spencer

Re: FEATHERING PROPS V34

Don,
I note your desire for a sleek feathering prop to aid your sailing speed.  I have a Frances 34 Pilot House and with advancing years I am pleased to have a traditional three bladed prop of significant proportions which gives me an excellent six knots with my Volvo 331 at 2,000 revs.  It will also just about turn me in the boats length when going astern and strong winds give the boat a mind of her own.  With advancing years we spend more time enjoying ourselves on the water motor sailing rather than just the wind power.
Jon
ALBERTINE

#3 2017-08-15 15:06:41

Guy_Warner

Don

I have a V34 with a Darglow feathering prop. It works fine and there is not much prop walk. However, during last winter, I had a new engine (Volvo d-40) and shaft fittings and they balanced the prop. I do about 6 kts at 2000 revs under engine and a bit more under sail with favourable conditions. I put the throttle astern under sail.

Good luck.

Guy Warner
Ruby Star

#4 2017-08-17 10:34:27

Charles_Grossie

Hi folks,
I have recently purchased 'Anitra', which is a V34 cutter. So far, so good.
On my previously boat (Biscay 36 ketch) I fitted a Darglow Featherstream propeller in 2009. This was driven by a Perkins 4.108 ~40hp engine; however, the performance was fantastic - especially in regard to the thrust going astern.
My V34 has the standard Yanmar 3GM30F ~27hp engine, but I don't know whether the propeller is the original 3-bladed variant. What I can say is though, going astern isn't great - especially if there is a strong tail wind. I will be replacing this propeller with a Featherstream this winter.
I still have a bit of research to do in terms of other Victoria/Francis owners' experience of feathering propellers.
I welcome anyone's experience to date and will also report on my progress.
Kind regards,
Charlie.

Board footer