#1 2017-07-26 19:58:05

Duncan_Hill

Greasing the head seacock?

Blue Opal's layout is the master cabin layout, with the head towards the stern where the quarter berth would be. There's a small access hatch under the head assembly for getting to the outlet seacock. It's pretty stiff, and so I think it needs a touch of grease. However, Blue Opal is in the water, and I'm pretty sure my hands are not small enough to get both of them up that hole to back off the jubilee clips and get the grease into the seacock.

Anyone worked with this setup and have any advice on how I can sort this seacock out, without taking the entire head assembly to pieces?

#2 2017-07-27 08:28:55

Jonathan_Hopper

Re: Greasing the head seacock?

Duncan -

As a matter of interest, what sort of seacock is it? 

I changed the hoses on my heads outlet a couple of years ago in the water, and found that the ball valve was leaking.   The rates and time I had was not a problem for me as it was very accessible and so quick.   

Is it possible to access from swimming, and poke a bit up on the end of a paint brush?

#3 2017-07-27 09:07:35

Duncan_Hill

You know, I don't know! I'll go out to her tonight and see if I can get my phone in the hole and get some photos. What I do know is that it's a 90-degree bend seacock, and that there are two jubilee clips above it that scratch the back of my wrist whenever I try to turn it (and I'll see about putting something protective on those sharp bits).

I've not noticed mine leaking; on the whole, Blue Opal is in excellent condition, you'd think she was only a few years old, not 18.

Swimming might work, though I'd need a wetsuit, since the water is barely past 15 degrees. Alternately, I can bug one of the divers or dinghy sailors at the club and see if they'll do me a favour.

#4 2017-07-27 22:30:21

Jonathan_Hopper

If it is a 90 degree handle then it is either a cone seacock (such as Blakes) or a ball valve.

Some say the ball valve does not need greasing as it probably has a nylon seat, but others do grease.   Mine gets a bit tight in the summer but never to the point it will not move.   The original valves on mine were gate valves which I never had any success in greasing, so they got changed.

My comment about a leak - this was 'letting by' into the hose ie. not a leak into the bilges until I took the hose off, and it was not possible to know this till the hose was off.

Is there a longer term aspect to this question - ie is there a way of improving access to the skin fitting / valve?   It is comforting to be able to get complete access to these fittings a moment's notice.

Re. your wrists - it is possible to get 'clip end guards' for jubilee clips (or tape over them) - the cuts always seem to be 2mm from a vein!

#5 2017-07-28 06:04:04

Duncan_Hill

Thankfully the cuts are on the back of my wrist, because the sharp bits are above the seacock. I think it's the end of the jubilee clips, but I haven't actually looked yet; could be something else.

I can move the handle, but it takes a fair bit of effort, and my girlfriend cannot move it at all. Putting an extension arm on would give more leverage, but even the survey called out that this seacock was stiffer than it should be.

Improving access would need a bit of wood-working skill; I possibly have it. What it also needs is a shed with good working area for doing precision wood cutting; all I have is a balcony at the end of an apartment. https://youtu.be/RJTd2td0Tqk?t=49s (pause immediately) shows a cockeyed view of the head, and you can see the access panel below the toilet. Didn't get out to her yesterday, weather was a bit crap.

#6 2017-07-30 12:31:45

Duncan_Hill

https://www.cricalix.net/wp-content/upl … G_1801.jpg shows the sea-cock access hatch with a pen for scale.

https://www.cricalix.net/wp-content/upl … G_1512.jpg shows the arrangement inside the hole.

Board footer