#1 2011-09-26 10:29:09

Graham_Hughes

Victoria 30 VIOLET ANNE

Violet Anne is a sloop rigged Victoria 30 owned by Graham Hughes, an association member since January 2009.

Graham tells us:

Victoria Anne was built as Cherokee Rose in 1985 for an American, then living in Britain, and at some time sailed across the Atlantic to the States. She was in Florida for a time, then moved north to Virginia.

She was sold to a Saint John, New Brunswick, businessman in October 1999 and cruised mostly on the Kennebecasis and Saint John rivers after being renamed Dahinda.

I bought her in August 2008 and renamed her for my daughters.

Graham lives in Kingston, Ontario, Canada and Violet Anne is based on Lake Ontario at Collins Bay Marina.

Last edited by Graham_Hughes (2012-11-06 18:10:54)

#2 2011-09-26 10:32:35

Graham_Hughes

Re: Victoria 30 VIOLET ANNE

Update 2009

I spent much of the past summer on a Bavaria 46, circumnavigating the British Isles with two other "learners" and a rotating cadre of instructors.

We left London July 5, headed down the Thames and kept turning right until we got back to London 12 weeks later.

We got as far north as Shetland, after stops along the Channel, Isle of Wight, Southern and Northern Ireland.

We were chased out of Lerwick in short order by a threatened gale that actually became a storm shortly after we got back to mainland Scotland.

Heading north, it was a story of running from gales or hiding from gales, with some pretty good sailing in between as a series of lows swept in from the Atlantic.

Heading south in the North Sea, we had a few gales until nearly Edinburgh when it seemed the whole British Isles was basking in an endless high -- lots of motorsailing.

It was all good fun, although I damaged an arm towards the end and despite completing the voyage back to London had to return to Canada for treatment, missing out on an extra two-week stint following the trip and a chance to try for Yachtmaster status. Such is life.

I saw three Victoria 30's and have tried to send you pictures of two of them.

The first shot was taken on the River Yealm in Devon, the second and third shots were of a boat leaving Tobermory, Scotland. The third sighting produced no photo because the cutter-rigged boat had left Bangor, Northern Ireland before I had my camera handy.

However taking the trip meant I was unable to do much sailing locally and Victoria Anne languished in her berth through what was described to me as a "miserable summer for sailing," although a friend of mine did manage to take her out a few times. Hopefully this summer will see her more on the "mighty" Ottawa River when I'm not busy trying to upgrade her with a view to more adventurous sailing in the following years.

Currently, I'm considering adding a removable inner stay, anchor windlass and wind generator as my major projects, and will strip and repaint the bottom before launching this spring. Once in the water, I'll fit the Aires that came with the boat and try to figure out how to make it work. Should be a busy, and fun, season.

Cheers, Graham

V30_on_the_River_Yealm.jpg
Unknown Victoria 30 on the River Yealm - 25 July 2009

Sulair.jpg
Sùlair departs Tobermory, Scotland - 14 August 2009

Sulair_departing.jpg
Sùlair departing from Tobermory - 14 August 2009

#3 2011-10-15 08:44:06

Graham_Hughes

Re: Victoria 30 VIOLET ANNE

Received by email 15/10/2011:

While I'm still a member at Britannia Yacht Club in Ottawa, I moved my Victoria 30 Violet Anne to Kingston, on Lake Ontario in mid-July. The plan had been to circumnavigate Lake Ontario over the course of three months. However, unexpected refit delays (electrical) meant the move was delayed until late July. We did manage to sail to Toronto over the course of a couple of weeks, but the journey west was stopped by a death in the family, making a return to Kingston necessary -- three long days of mostly motor sailing. Violet Anne will over-winter in Kingston at Collins Bay Marina, with the circumnavigation re-planned for 2012.

Board footer