#1 2011-09-25 11:41:15

Registered: 1993-06-02
Posts: 8

SAMPHIRE's Log (V34)

'Samphire' is a Victoria 34 Sloop owned by Mowbray and Elizabeth Whiffin and kept in Maine, U.S.A.



#2 2011-09-25 11:49:14

Registered: 1993-06-02
Posts: 8

Re: SAMPHIRE's Log (V34)

Preparation and the Voyage South

When I bought Samphire in April 1993, she had just returned from the 1991 trip under her first owner Rory Stokes who many of you will remember from his garage near Berthon Marina in Lymington in the early 1990's. His display of concours vehicles always had passing yachtsmen feeling that perhaps a classic car might be better than a Victoria!

After much haggling a '34 was mine, a decision that I have never regretted, and Samphire has proved to be a superb, easily handled, yacht. Over the years I gradually extended my experience with the boat always showing that she was more capable than I, which is still the case. The West Country, Channel Islands and France were all gradually explored as time and cash permitted. The long term dream was the ARC but first I had to retire!


When my firm fell under American ownership (a long story) the chance came for an early switch of priorities and I applied for entry into the 2004 Rally. It was clear that significant work was necessary and I took the boat back to Stone Pier Yard but problems quickly emerged with the stability and experience of the owners at that time and the work fell behind schedule.

I discussed this with Guy and Deborah Tolson who I met again, at the Gins Farm Rally in 2004. The name of Bear Marine was put forward at Shamrock Quay so I gave notice to M.D.L. to leave Ocean Village, after eight years and put the boat up on the hard.

A work schedule was quickly agreed upon, with the need for crew purposes, to leave the Solent in September, just three months ahead.

The work fell into three parts, mast and rigging, sails and electrics.

I had earlier, in 2002, changed the engine because of long running problems with balance and water leaks and I now have a Vetus Bullflex on the shaft, a large rubber doughnut to absorb vibration, a new exhaust system and a pump to push grease down on to a new shaft bearing as well as a new Yanmar 30, the same as before.

The only addition was to change the alternator to 75 amps from the 55 amps to cope with charging needs. The work was done by Marine Power of Bursledon to my entire satisfaction.

I decided to change the mast with new rigging, the latter being an insurance requirement but as the boat had one ARC under her keel I thought it best to make a complete change. I kept the boom, which was X-rayed and found flawless.

Mast and Rigging

Extra strength fittings for backing plates and gooseneck items were made at the same time.

The mast was one piece with a further column at deck level to strengthen the unit. A problem arose with the internal conduits not aligning between the two shafts with cabling now loose and slapping the mast. I will deal with this on the first mast removal next year. This work was done by The Rig Shop at Ocean Village, whose technical assistance was much appreciated.

The only problems were the mast slider opening on the trip to Las Palmas and a quite inadequate deck tensioner for the inner forestay, both dealt with on my return to the UK and before the ARC started.



The sails were renewed about five years ago by Ben Green of Shore Sails, who made the original set. They were examined and passed by Ben but I did ask for an asymmetric spinnaker and this was a huge success setting superbly with a great cloud of green and yellow. Worth every penny. This sail is so strong that it bent the bow roller at the point where it was tacked down, dealt with in Antigua by a backing plate. We managed to surf at eight knots and this sail made up for a lot of the ground lost during the first half of the Rally.

I did worry about the single backstay and I would like a twin unit but I have never heard of any Victoria losing its rig so I guess it's my caution.

For the return trip I have asked North Sails for a quote so as to take advantage of a cheap dollar!


General boat work included a new grey water system just in case I was challenged on the non-tidal parts of the Intra Coastal Waterway but this never happened. At least I now meet the new regulations.

I also renewed the gas pipe work with new regulators to fit both Camping Gas and Propane.

Owners might like to look closely at the pipe run in the port locker as mine was being knocked when heavy items were dragged out. This could have led to a gas leak if the copper tube was fractured.

Both water bags were renewed (200 litres) and spares carried as I have a low regard for the quality of this equipment (French!)

Lastly the toilet pump was changed for the new Jabsco system, which never gave problems (grey handle unit.)



I decided to add a chartplotter, a Raymarine C80 and a SSB. The wiring was brought up to date at the same time. The original system used very thin wire and a fire risk is a very real problem if new gizmos are added. The cost was substantial and I question if a SSB is necessary as I also carry a satphone, which was a huge success and never went wrong. Calls are getting cheaper and are about 75p per minute, down from £2 only a year ago. ARC boats have to call in at noon GMT with a position fix and the net was often unable to hear us despite about 50 boats being within 100 miles. I often just rang Cowes, which was weird as the clarity was excellent. I guess the ionosphere was disrupted by the tropical depression which lay across the path of the fleet.

I am looking into whether I can add a laptop to use the SSB for weather maps to justify the huge cost. (£2,500 approximately with severe fitting problems to add a copper ground earthing strip.)

The chartplotter is a super new toy but the early Raymarine units were shut down by a fault in the interfaced GPS. This originates from a faulty antenna. I am still in contact with Raymarine on this point. The unit also stopped reading just before I left the boat in the USA. However, I carry no less than 5 GPS units so I always had a backup! I now have two in line systems as I kept my trusty Phillips Navigator, do not throw these out as they are better than the new ones.


Lastly I renewed my Autohelm 7000 as I was given a good allowance on my old unit. This worked without a hitch and went on in Southampton and off in St. Lucia. Unless you have an Aries or similar, some form of helming is essential. The Autohelm is power hungry and even my upgraded alternator and Ampair could not keep pace. A generator is the answer but this means a bigger boat.

I note from the ARC records that David and Sue Wilson, and the Tolsons both did the ARC on 38's presumably with generators but only me and Bruce Roscoe, on Victoria Vision, a '34, in 2002 would have had an engine driven system.


For my sins I am thinking of putting in a small 'fridge!

I think that the lasting memory I shall have of the ARC is the constant need to keep the boat from not going slowly. Our average was less than 4 knots before handicap but motoring time was a killer at 60 hours. The penalty is an addition of 1.2 on the hours run so if you can keep away from the engine you stand a good chance of an overall finish in the top twenty boats. We were 51 out of 210 but the weather was not kind. Indeed if we had not motored we would not have finished by the last date and this looks to be the case for the 2005 ARC as well. The NE trades are just not as regular as in earlier years.


What could I have fitted to improve the boat's performance? The one item that would have been an unseen hand would have been a folding prop as these give upwards of 0.5 knots. Over 24 hours this is 12 miles or 84 miles per week. Over three weeks the distance is 250 miles, more if the speed gained is nearer a knot. This is two days sailing and if I look at our time again, take off the engine penalty and two days overall, then take our full handicap we would have won our class and would have finished 15th in the entire fleet! I doubt I would have made it out alive from the final prize giving, however.



Would I do the trip again? Yes, I would need to sort out the sails as the big boom specified in Las Palmas was a death trap on the foredeck when booming out the genoa and the power problems need a small petrol generator on the deck. Not impossible!

I must end, however, with a thank you to my long suffering wife, Elizabeth, who looked after the fort while I was away. I would not have been able to leave the Solent without her help.

Mowbray Whiffin, Samphire.


#3 2011-09-25 11:55:39

Registered: 1993-06-02
Posts: 8

Re: SAMPHIRE's Log (V34)


Mowbray departed from Las Palmas on Sunday, 21st November 2004 at 1300 as one of the participants in the 19th Atlantic Rally for Cruisers, otherwise known as the A.R.C.  To find out more about the A.R.C. visit: http://www.worldcruising.com.

He arrived at Rodney Bay, St. Lucia on the 16th December 2004 at 1232 after 24 days, 23 hours, 32 minutes and 38 seconds.

This chart, borrowed from the ARC website, shows Mowbray's track

His best day's sailing was 151.3nm.

Mowbray's positions and analysis of them by the Victoria Shadow Association


#4 2011-09-25 11:59:44

Registered: 1993-06-02
Posts: 8

Re: SAMPHIRE's Log (V34)

Caribbean, Reunion and onto the United States

When Samphire arrived in St. Lucia there were official photographs and then less formal family pictures. This section is largely photographs, which are usually self-explanatory.


















#5 2011-09-25 12:13:13

Registered: 1993-06-02
Posts: 8

Re: SAMPHIRE's Log (V34)

Arrival in the New World

Late in 2004, Samphire took part in the A.R.C. (the Atlantic Rally for Cruisers) and made the passage from Las Palmas, Canary Islands to Rodney Bay, St. Lucia in 24 days 23 hours 32 minutes and 38 seconds, arriving on the 16th December.

Arrival in St. Lucia with Mowbray at the helm

Samphire is a Victoria 34, owned and sailed by Mowbray Whiffin.  Before the A.R.C. she was based at Lymington, on the Western Solent.

Since the rally, she has sailed onto the United States of America and is now based on the Intra Coastal Waterway at Chesapeake near Norfolk, Virginia.

On 19th October 2006, Mowbray wrote,

"I have just come back from Norfolk, Virginia where my boat is still, effectively, laid-up. However, I thought that fellow members might like to see some of the photo's taken of 'Samphire' during a lift-out for a wash and brush-up, as well as some tourist shots of the Intra Coastal Waterway and lifting bridge at Great Bridge, Chesapeake, where the boat is kept.

New sails and, again, electrical problems with some of the new kit keep the boat laid-up."

Samphire at Great Bridge, Chesapeake on the Intra Coastal Waterway

‘Great Bridge’ at Chesapeake on the I.C.W., Norfolk Virginia

Lymington is a long way away!

"Also enclosed are shots of Williamsburg, which took over from the original English Settlement from nearby Jamestown in 1699. Jamestown itself was founded by the first settlers in the New World in May 1607 so next year is the 400th anniversary and everybody is getting excited at this event. We gather some Royals are attending, but I will do my best to get my boat up the James River from Great Bridge to fly the flag!

I felt very humbled by the fortitude of these first settlers who hoped to find wealth in the New World, and who pre-dated the Mayflower.

Captain Smith was the first Governor and charted the coastline northwards up into Maine, 3000 miles in total, and from an open boat. No electrical problems!

Some of the daily events at Williamsburg are obviously aimed at the American view of events leading up to 1776 and I refused to go over to Yorktown. Enough said!"

A consumate sailor

Pipes and Drums at Williamsburg

"We both went to see the three replica boats that crossed the Atlantic, basically following the route taken by the A.R.C. fleet, called the 'Susan Godspeed', the 'Elizabeth' (the smallest at 50ft) and a new replacement for the 'Discovery'. The previous boat had been taken back to the U.K. the week before as deck cargo on a British warship and will be displayed at Greenwich for the celebrations."

'Elizabeth' only 1½x 'Samphire's' length

'Susan Godspeed'

Elizabeth on 'Elizabeth'


#6 2011-10-03 15:19:33

Registered: 1993-06-02
Posts: 8

Re: SAMPHIRE's Log (V34)

Virginia to Maine 2007

When I set off from the Solent, in August 2005 towards Las Palmas, for the start, at the end of November, of the 2005 ARC, I hoped that all would go well enough for me to end up in Maine, after the Caribbean and the East Coast of the U.S. during 2005/06.

The programme slipped one year, technical and crew problems, but all was in place for a restart in early June last for the 1200 mile coastal hop northwards.  The idea was to see as much as possible of a varied coastline which included Boston and New York, so different from the sea rather than as a land based tourist with the icing on the cake of the Maine coastline.

Samphire had suffered from the Caribbean and the East Coast and The Atlantic Boatyard in Chesapeake was still having problems with the navigation equipment, together with steering and rigging niggles, not all settled but better than on my arrival.

I think the North Sails representative got it right when he refused to give me back my old blocks as they were too dangerous!  I now have a new set of smart Harken blocks and new running rigging. The cheap US$ and sales tax of 6% helps a lot!

Also a new storm jib, a yankee and a 120% genoa.

The long running saga of a dodgy Raymarine C80 chartplotter was sourced to a failing GPS300 now replaced by a Raystar 125, all under guarantee thankfully.  I had been chasing their agents, all over, ever since I arrived in St. Lucia.

The radar is better, but not perfect, and this was traced to a badly installed lead from the mast head scanner.  The wire lead is now its original length and the local agents, with whom I had several sharp words, said it was best to coil the factory length rather than cutting off the excess.

Last but not least I have a dual propane/butane Force 10 cooker with all the bells and whistles.  The gas cylinders are mounted flat and are each three times the capacity of the old blue, propane, cylinders which are not recognised here in the U.S.  I love using the cooker, even for boiling water for a cuppa!  The cooker should work back in the UK with minimum modification.  We shall see!

Final touches in Virginia

So I set off, under Great Bridge, which I had seen so many times from the south, towards Norfolk.

Great Bridge, Chesapeake, from the north, at last!

Immediately the engine stopped, thankfully right at the fuel dock, a simple matter of no fuel but the reason was not realised at the time.

The gauge read full all the time, after the old diesel had been pumped out but the tank had not then refilled.

This was to have serious consequences later, even though I always carry 5x25 litre cans of spare fuel.

Norfolk is the home of the US fleet and row after row of aircraft carriers was an awe inspiring sight, but my crew, Mark Banus, who used to fly jets off the Nimitz did agree that warfare at the moment needed a different strategy!

Nimitz in Norfolk

Our first obstacle was the Delaware River, nearly 30 miles wide and crossing in a force 7/8, was fraught so we took shelter, opposite the Cape Cod canal for two days.  A chance to use the cooker as the wind howled overhead.  The holding was excellent, in hard mud and we never moved an inch, but the windlass packed up, so that is back on the to do list.  It had had a lot of work up the East Coast.

The barge traffic started to increase and listening to the VHF traffic was hilarious.  What these guys would do in the Dover Straights I do not know!  At night the lights of the pushing tugs with often more than one barge was a nightmare and I am none the wiser despite a cockpit chartlet of signals.  Best to go round everything, leaving the last white stern light well abeam.  Most captains were very puzzled at being called up by an English yacht and a great gap was obvious between me being polite and correct, port to port etc. and the locals who charged straight at each other with a very non nautical exchange at the last minute.  Turkey is a swear word!

Verazzano Bridge, New York in early fog

The approaches to New York, up the famed Ambrose Channel, on a foggy morning were awe inspiring.  Under the Verazzano Bridge, much bigger than I expected but it does have to clear some big cruise liners, and Manhattan with the Statue of Liberty hove into view.

“Give me your masses yearning to be free.”

What a sight, one of the most impressive, if not the most impressive approach of any capital city in the world.  One of my most treasured memories.

Manhattan skyline

Manhattan skyline from East River

The next day our peace was shattered by a powerboat rally, twin V8's were thick on the ground!  Enough said except that I filled up the cans but as I had tipped in a can approaching New York I did not fill the tank, the gauge still showing full.  Wrong!!

Thud, thud!!  Powerboat Rally in New York

The exit from Manhattan is through Hells Gate which I had been dreading as tides run at 10 knots in a very narrow channel.

Approaching Hell’s Gate - S.O.G. later touched over 10 knots

Much checking of the tide tables had us departing eastwards on the East River at 05.30 on a lovely morning, just perfect to see the sun coming up on the skyscrapers of Manhattan, a view you do not see from the canyons between the buildings.  Our timing was spot on with the tide just turning at Hells Gate and I need not have worried.

Less than two hours later the engine stopped and we quickly realised that fuel was the problem.  Birds and roosts come to mind!

A call to US Tow was answered immediately from their depot in Oyster Bay, in Long Island Sound, a tow was agreed.

Naturally I had to join and next day the early call to bring us in for a mechanic to confirm what I should have realised since leaving Norfolk cost me about £600 in total.

If we had run out in Hells Gate the loss of the boat would have been inevitable.  I asked if a sight glass could be fitted but I was surprised to be told that US regulations do not allow any side openings in fuel tanks.

Oh dear!  Faulty fuel gauge had us run out of diesel off Oyster Bay, Long Island Sound

The next tidal gate is at the east end of the Sound, at Montaux, not so terrifying but still capable of 8 knots at Springs.  We rushed through just in time.

Next stop, over night was the Cape Cod Canal.  I would have liked to have stopped at Nantucket but this will have to wait as my crew was only with me until Boston, in two days time, and yet another front was forecast.

Cape Cod Canal in early mist

We pressed on and I was disturbed to hear another ship astern of us call the Canal pilots, and a huge tanker eventually overtook us.  He had been very close all night but did not call us up nor issue any sound signals.  The watch keeper admitted to me that he had us on the radar!

He did not appear on our screen so back to the geeks at Raymarine, yet again.

Boston is a lovely City, although the channels into the City centre are a bit of a challenge.  Thankfully it was a fine afternoon and our chartplotter and the big folio size charts guided us down the main channel from the south.  My heart stopped when a harbour ferry zoomed by, just a boat lengths away.  I think I was on the wrong side of the channel!

It was dark when we found our marina in the City, with the weather starting to close in, for a tremendous thunderstorm later that night, with lots of lightning.

Mark, my crew, left the next day, and I enjoyed a walk round the City, such a pleasure now that most of the roads are underground.  The Big Dig must be worth every penny although it went way over budget.

Next day was to be on my own and the first stop was the fuel dock!

I then enjoyed a super beam reach in 25 knots up to Gloucester, the scene of The Perfect Storm and a port with a tremendous history of fishing on The Grand Banks, with all the losses of fishermen.  The town has a stirring monument to the 3000 men who have lost their lives at sea.

Moored in fishing dock, Gloucester

Gloucester Fisherman’s Memorial

I moored at a wharf, virtually no marinas in this working port, and was warmly greeted by a fisherman, offering a large cod!  I thanked him but said I had no fridge, but a smaller one would be nice, he returned with a small halibut which took me 3 days to eat!  He also had a tame, one legged, seagull which he took home with him in a box.  Every day this bird would sit on the stem being dive bombed by the other birds, on the way out fishing.

I was very sorry to leave this kindly Town which had made me so welcome, including the offer of cars to use for shopping and sightseeing.

Then on, via Portsmouth, to Kennebunkport where a family friend had organised my arrival to be greeted by the local TV and newspapers.

This coincided with the arrival of President Putin, staying the weekend, to go fishing with the Bush family.  As I was approaching the Port the VHF squawked into life, the Secret Service were shutting the Port as the President was bringing his guest to the family home by sea, to avoid the anti war demonstrators who were waiting outside the town.  I elected to keep going and it was strange to be buzzed by the secret Police who merely gave me a wave as the President went by.  I noticed that the crew of the Coastguard cutter were busy fishing from the side facing away from the shore! They took no notice of me, obviously a lone British yachtsman was not judged a security threat.

Thankfully the full reception committee did not appear when I moored at the Yacht Club.

After three days it was time to continue the trip but the weather had other ideas with fog forecast for the next week, in advance of yet another front.  This had me holed up in Port Clyde for 4 days, and in 30 knots of wind.  Boats would leave but an hour later return with tales of thick fog at sea.

They really are friendly!  Port Clyde, Maine

Bass Harbor was just 50 miles away, could I do it in one leap?

On the fifth day things seemed to be improving with the glass rising and the wind coming into the southwest.  I decided to go for it and cast off early.

The first three hours were fine, beam reaching in 20 knots, and I elected to keep offshore.  All the harbours to my north were difficult of access but not impossible.  At mid day the fog increased and started to close in, I topped up the fuel tank (naturally), dropped my sails as they were in the way for visibility and motored hard with all my mast lights on, the first time I had ever done this, and my binoculars glued to my eyes.  An all ships call was answered by the Coast Guard, but he could not see anything on his radar in Portland.  As it was Sunday I took the gamble that no lobster fisherman were out, this proved to be correct as I saw no other craft and I plotted my way every 10 minutes to a new waypoint.  This was still six or seven miles with a fair current which had appeared, at last.

Early afternoon saw me off Isle au Haut which appeared out of the fog with the peak visible but not the outlying rocks!  I went offshore, although my GPS position showed me in no dangers and ate a banana with a cup of tea for lunch, while I thought what to do next.  It was time for plan B so I rigged the inner forestay, already mounted on its tensioner, and set the Yankee on the hanks, ready for use.  If I had not reached my destination by nightfall I would sail out to sea, away from the horrendous shoreline, and try and get some sleep, ready for the battle next day.

I then resumed my original course with the favourable tide now running at between two and three knots so my speed over the ground was terrific, this was a bonus.  This lasted for nearly three hours and my pencil marks were leaping across the chart with the waypoint markers bleeping every 15 minutes.

My last waypoint was offshore Long Island just 10 miles south of Bass Harbor but I still expected to creep into the open mooring under radar and the chartplotter.  I took a final fix, checked it twice from a separate section of the chart then turned slowly to the north, and resumed speed but not so frantically as before.  Another half hour and time for another fix, looking good, checked again and made a small course change to my plan, then came back on deck to be greeted by an amazing sight.

The fog had lifted and I was in glorious late afternoon sunshine! All of the islands in Blue Hill Bay were visible up to ten miles or so and I offered up a Prayer for my safe arrival, with even a little wind as I set full sail again for the last two hours to Bass Harbor.  I had arrived and I felt thankful and very pleased with myself.  The evening cup of tea on deck was to be remembered!

Anchored at Man O’ War Bay, Somes Sound, Arcadia National Park - British warships used this fresh water

Somes Sound in full view, the largest Fiord in North America

Journey’s End.  Bass Harbor, Maine

The last days before my flight back home were spent on  most  afternoons reaching across the Bay, with nearly 20 miles in three hours quite normal, in the protected waters in fantastic scenery.  I can't wait for the family cruise next year.  I have to face another yard bill first though!


#7 2011-10-03 15:43:58

Registered: 1993-06-02
Posts: 8

Re: SAMPHIRE's Log (V34)

Update October 2008

Message received from Mowbray on the 15th October 2008:

We knew from friends that the summer weather on the East coast of the US was most unusual for August but the flights had been booked earlier to coincide with our daughter's school term, as this visit was to be a family cruise, unlike the previous years solo trip.

When we landed in Boston it was clear from a glance out of the planes window that something awful was about to happen, the sky was a deep yellow with heavy rain forecast.

Thankfully our first night was at York, just an hour up the coast and this proved to be a good choice. After dinner we all went to bed early, a jet lagged 2 o'clock in UK terms, which was followed by one of the most fearsome nights I can remember. Thunder, sheet lightning and torrential rain hit after midnight and all the power was lost to the County, and indeed to most of the State, as we found out the next day.

The journey up to Bar Harbor took ages through the storm but the road was awash and fog started to form later in the day. We stayed 2 days seeing friends and visited Morris Yachts prior to taking over the boat. All had been well prepared after the out of water, and mast out, lay-up over the winter.

A long list of things to do concentrated on stopping the water leaks through the decks which had been affected by more than  one year in the Tropics and two years in Virginia after the trip north from Florida. All the teak eyebrows were re-bedded, the port windows removed and also re-bedded. The toe rail capping was resealed and the compass binnacle was awl-gripped to cure a growing rust problem at the base. The windlass foot switches were replaced together with several planks of teak decking. I think I am facing the cost of a new deck, just as the US dollar starts to recover!

Additionally all the stanchions were replaced, needless to say the original three bolt base-plates could not be sourced so new four-bolt units had to be  drilled through the deck with new back plates, all bedded with new mastic and wire safety lines replaced. More worryingly the rigging deck bolts had to be replaced as several had started to crack at the deck end of the rigging, this after just three years into the new mast and rigging I fitted for the 2004 ARC.

There is a lot of foreign steel work in the market and all owners should be vigilant and specify the very best quality, British or American and virtually nothing else. Mine had been sourced from the EEC (no names but the country is very close to the UK)!

I fell foul of the new US fire regulations and had to replace several fire extinguishers with two, not one, bigger ones in the engine compartment (space is measured in the States for this regulation).

Lastly, well almost, the heater was replaced. The local agent said it was a 1984 model from the unit number whereas I had been told by the previous owner that he had fitted a new unit in 1992, it not having been an original fitment from 1990. Not for one minute would I put the blame on a certain charter agent who had a reputation for switching equipment between Victoria boats. What you learn!

Owners should be aware that the new trunking is now much wider and will not fit the existing run. I had to have new tubing run up the back of the cooker, in the cupboard, then down through the food locker which is not helpful. I will have to put in an insulating panel to divide the box.

The new cooker, a Force 10 has burner problems and will have to come out, all under warrantry, I hope. One of the new 125amp batteries has died, also a dispute. It does seem like a cold shower and '£10 notes! 

Now to the sailing.

If you can imagine, thick fog, thunder and lightning all at the same time you will understand the conditions. We made it to the top of Somes Sound, to a lovely hurricane hole but a storm right overhead with lightning strikes into the forest right by the boat had me issuing orders to the crew to dress and gather in the cockpit. This at 3 o'clock in the morning! On the way back down this fiord, my engine cable started to part, another call on Morris Yachts had a replacement in 48 hours.

After this episode I was told that a hotel would perhaps be best for long term morale, but I did get a good rate out of a local inn to soften the blow. Campers and visitors were leaving Arcadia in droves.

That's all really but to add injury to insults my wife complained that she could not sleep in a very expensive inn, in Kennebunk, it was much better on the boat. She would say that on the way home! I shall remind her next year when perhaps the weather god's are kinder.

Mowbray Whiffin

s/y Samphire

P.S. I now have the status of a transient, non-resident alien for US Immigration purposes. I thought I was just a visitor!


#8 2011-10-22 09:27:18

Registered: 1993-06-02
Posts: 8

Re: SAMPHIRE's Log (V34)

Update October 2011

Update received by email 20th October 2011:

Just back from a couple of weeks seeing our son in Spain. Bit of a shock from 30c! I was chided in a recent Waterlines that nothing had been heard from me, not a lot to report but have now moved from Morris Yachts and Bass Harbour to Wayfarer Marine in Camden, Maine. Very glitzy but not so out in the sticks.

... I am hunting for 2 crew to help bring Samphire back across the Pond to Falmouth, leaving on 1st July 2012 approx. Should be a great beam reach...or maybe not! 18/22 days should do it. Then maybe brokerage looms which will break my heart. All the best, Mowbray Whiffin.


Board footer

Powered by FluxBB